pH keeps creeping up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
pH keeps creeping up

tank is a low tech 10G with black sand (I think its really just glass) and lots of anacharis, a few anubias and a java fern. I have a 2 different large rocks, one seems to be some type of shale or limestone and the other is volcanic rock, then I have tons of other smaller pieces of petrified wood I have found in local riverbeds (another hobby of mine) all of which were scrubbed clean and boiled to disinfect. I have 10 neon tetras, one neon dwarf gourami and two cory cats. About 2 months ago I began to have a beard algae problem and right about that time got an API master test kit. Tested the pH and read an 8.4, in attempt to keep the algae at bay I did a 10% water change daily and 50% each week using reverse osmosis water bought from the store. (my tap pH is very high) During this time the pH went down to about a 7.6 and stayed the duration of the frequent water changes. I've now left the tank alone the past week and the pH has crept back up to 8.2 All my fish seem to be happy and healthy (they are pretty hardy species) but it still bothers me my tank pH is so far from neutral. Ammonia is 0 and nitrites are at 0. I also have 2 medium sized pieces of driftwood and one that is pretty large for the size tank its in.

Why does my pH just keep creeping back up? Could it be the substrate or one of the rocks? I expected the pH to lower after adding the last (large) piece of driftwood but it has not. This problem has been rather annoying, also, this may be related or unrelated to my issue but i am using hydrogen peroxide in small doses about once a week to kill the dreaded beard algae.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ya got what you think is a large chunk of limestone or shale and you're wondering why the ph creeps upwards.

As for the algae, keep a consistent carbon level on the water and it will go away.

Last edited by Steve001; 05-10-2015 at 01:48 AM. Reason: .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just looked at a bunch of pictures (should have before posting this) and its definitely shale.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Did any of those photos give information on the chemical composition?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Remove each rock from the tank and place it in a separate jar of water. (RO would be best) and monitor it for a week (pH, GH, KH).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

take the rock out and pour something acidic on it and see if it reacts, vinegar works well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks yall Ill start testing asap!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode