How to lower high Ph? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to lower high Ph?

Hello, the water in most of my tanks have high Ph of 8.0 or higher. I would like to lower the Ph because many of my fish probably don't appreciate the high pH. What is a natural way to do so? I assume that the reason for the alkaline pH is because the water in my area is so.

My tanks and the fish in them are:
40?gal -
Senegal bichir X2 - six inch and smaller in size
Giant danio X7
Gold barb X6
Bristle nose Pleco X2
------
29?gal tall -
Neon tetra X5
Rummy nose tetra X6
Reticulated hill stream loach X1
Bristle nose Pleco X1
Leopard Ctenotoma (leopard bush-fish) X1

3?gal guppy tank
10gal rock-bass tank-
Wc Rock-bass X1
5.5gal wc native tank -
Brook stickleback X1
Baby bullhead cat X2
The question marks mean I'm not sure of exact specs of certain tanks (don't kill me please), though I know all these tanks are acceptable size for these fish. The bichirs are obviously going to be move into a far larger tank as needed, my leopard Ctenotoma will be moved in with the two bichirs when he is much larger then he is currently (he is hardly twice the size of my neons). All tanks are planted though the tetra tank rather sparkly as plants are doing poorly in there. All have driftwood, all have playsand substrate.

Obviously the alkaline pH isn't very acceptable for some of these fish, although all of them do very well. I would prefer the to have a more neutral pH of approx 7.5 if possible. Any suggestions? Also I use leaf zone plant fertilizer occasionally though not weekly. I do not add co2 to any tank. Will add pics and results of previous water tests if needed.
- thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Will need to reduce hardness to move pH down.
This can be done with mixture 50/50 of R/O water and tapwater mixed and stored in large tub or barrel which you would need to do to have same water available for water changes so as not to shock the fishes with sudden change at water change time.
Do you know what the pH from the tap read's ?
In all honesty,,If the fishes are doing well, I would not mess with trying to adjust the water at this point.
Are you sure you have playsand and not contractor's sand which might contain mortar/lime?
No rocks in the tank's that might contain limestone/calcium?
Could test pH of water from the tap after sitting in bucket,jar,pitcher,etc for 24 hours,then add some of your substrate to the container of tap water and test the pH again after 24 hour's.
If the pH is higher than the tap after 24 hours ,then something in substrate is causing the pH to climb higher than that which comes from your tap.
Can do same thing with any rock décor and small bucket of tapwater.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Test and post water parameters:
GH, KH, TDS
These are more important than the pH.

Usually pH is high because the KH is high or else the water company is adding something to keep the pH up (acidic water is hard on the plumbing).

Also, go buy a gallon of reverse osmosis or distilled water.
Make several blends with your tap water:
25% RO + 75% tap
50/50
75% RO + 25% tap
and see which comes closer to the preferred mineral levels for the fish you are keeping.
Then add a handful of peat moss to each recipe and test again the next day.
Test GH, KH, TDS, pH.

Post back with these results and lets see how we can help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode