Lilaeopsis, gh and kh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lilaeopsis, gh and kh

Hey guys, so I'm growing some micro sword, and while I don't expect insane growth (I'm not using CO2) I've been glad to see that dosing ferts has seemed to help. Prior to using them I got 0 growth, now I'm getting maybe one new leaf every 2 weeks, on average? No idea if that's super slow for lilaeopsis or not. (it's the new zealand variety according to the label that came with it)

I've been dosing roughly 1/4 of EI dosing, which looks specifically like this:

1/16tsp of Seachem Equilibrium
1/32tsp KNO3
1/64tsp KH2PO4

I have a 10gallon and it's lightly planted.

So my question is, should I really need seachem equilibrium if my tap has some GH/KH to it?
I top off with aged tap water (we only have chlorine in our water, no chloramines so this is safe) and the tap has something like 10 Gh, and 5 Kh, and while that isn't especially high, after I dose equilibrium they jump to about 12 Gh and 12 Kh.
Now I'm not positive just what Gh and Kh react with, so perhaps some of the ingredients in the Equilibrium are being consumed while others aren't?

I just know that in general Equilibrium is used to make distilled water buffered so it's more natural, and I know it can help to feed my plants too. I'm just not sure if I really need it.

Should I track my Gh and Kh each week prior to Equilibrium dose and see if I notice a slow rise? If I do, should I cut back on my dosing, or should I just do larger water changes to help remove excess of what isn't used?

I was planning on just forgoing any dosing at all for a week to see if this helps resets things, then going back to dosing every week, once a week, then skipping every 4th week.

Thoughts?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode