help wanted with ferts amounts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
help wanted with ferts amounts

Tank is 40 Gal, and I've got T5 lights & pressurized CO2.

As for ferts, I've read up on the EI method, and I'd like a second opinion to make sure I've read it right.

Sun, Tues, Thurs: Macro
Mon, Wed, Fri: Micro
Sat rest
Sun water change, 50%

Macro
KH2PO4, 1/8 tsp, 0.5ml
KNO3, 1/2 tsp, 2.5 ml

Micro
Flourish, 1/8 tsp, 0.5ml

The amounts of ferts seems incredibly small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I dose Mon, Wen, Fri: Macro
Tues, Thurs, Sat: Micro
Sunday: nothing, and 50-70% WC.

Regarding you dosing, I dont quite understand when you write tsp and ml. Are you making a solution or dosing dry?

For a tank your size, the EI calc says:

To reach your target of 7.5 ppm NO3 you will need to add 1.852 g (thats little under 1/2 tsp) KNO3 to your 40.0 US gal

To reach your target of 1.3 ppm PO4 you will need to add 282 mg (or 0.282 g, about 1/20th of a tsp) KH2PO4

To reach your target of 0.5 ppm Fe you will need to add 23 mL (5 tsp is 25ml) Flourish Comprehensive

This would be per dose.

So my advice is to get either a set of measuring spoons (Norpro 3080 on fleabay), or a gram scale (0.1-0.001 range) for the KH2PO4. And this would be more accurate, since tsp/tbsp can be so many different shape and sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Malakian; 05-04-2015 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added info
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My macros & flourish are liquid.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Still the same applies. If you want me to do the math I need the numbers. As in how much water is in the solution, how much of the fertilizers do you add to the solution, and how much of this solution are you using in your tank?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My KNO3 is 8 tablespoons per 500 ml. I've doubled it in my jar.
The KH2P04 is 3 teaspoons per 500 ml. Doubled in a 2nd jar.

What I add to the tank is listed above, but I'm not sure it's the right amounts. I see from your previous post, the flourish has been too low.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
These are supposed to be for an injected CO2 tank.
Note the difference between the 20-40g and the 40-60g tank.
I don't exactly know why this suggested list is fairly different
from what I got by using the calculator.
But if I may, on the difference between those two up top...
I'd use the smaller one if I just started this(in a 40g) and the
plants weren't any size yet/not that many of them.
Or I'd use the larger number if you had lots of them and
especially if they were going well.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944
Example:
This one for the low number.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_10993e.jpg
This one for the high number.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_10434e.jpg

Note: I just read what Malakian posted and his KNO3 is the same as what I got from
the calculator for mine(my 10g x 4), but for the micros I'm using CSM+B.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ill post an example. To make a 500mL Macro solution, you add 14.1 g of KH2PO4 and 92.6 g of KNO3 to the solution container, add RO/DI water to the 500 mL mark. Then you dose 10 mL of this solution each Macro day. The flourish you dose 23 mL each Micro day.

Edit: after seeing your post, you "recipie" isn't far from what the calculator outputs. Yours is a tad "stronger". So you are deff dosing to low. Flourish as said 23 mL and your macro should be closer to 8 mL per dose with your current mixing amounts.

Last edited by Malakian; 05-04-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: edited amount
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got the #s for the macro off the instructions on that jar. It was from a LFS for aquarium use.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We'll I don't know what they are thinking. The recipe itself is good for EI, but the amount of solution recommended to dose is way too low. Seems more like PPS dosing recommendations or something along those lines.

Edit: By the way, its seems like you are mixing PO4 and NO3 in separate containers, no? If so, you can safely mix them in the same one for you convenience if you like. The 2 things you don't want to mix in the same container is PO4 and Fe. Rest you can mix.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, I've been mixing them in separate containers because I thought the amounts were different for the PO4 & NO3.

I'm sorry, I've been very confused with dosing fertilizers. There's a lot of info to take in.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It can be quite confusing. The amounts of PO4 and NO3 ARE different, thats why you add a lot less of the PO4 to the solution. But you modify the amounts of dry fertilizers added, so that when you add 10ml of the solution you get desired ppm NO3 (7.5) and PO4 (1.3). If say you wanted to add more PO4 than EI recommend to your tank for some reason, but not increase NO3, you would just mix more KH2PO4 in the solution container or vice versa. No need for different containers
Hope this didn't confuse you even more.

bump: No need to be sorry, thats what forums are for

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll have to look it all over again tonight. It makes sense to be able to combine them. I knew what I was doing seemed low, that the amounts being added wouldn't make much of a difference.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking into how the calculator I linked to works, will do all the hard work for you. You just type in what you want, and the calculator puts out exact amounts for your solution/tank. Then you don't have to worry about anything. It might seem a little confusing at first, but it is quite simple as soon as you get the gist of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode