Dissolving CO2 & O2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dissolving CO2 & O2

Hi,

I diffuse CO2 through my canister filter using it as a giant reactor. The CO2 goes in the intake from a glass diffuser and it comes out from the outflow pipe. I have placed the output pipe just one inch below the surface so it can generate some 'mild' surface agitation. Is this an efficient way to dissolve CO2 into the tank? I'm asking you this because the outlet both pumps CO2 in the water and generates surface movement. Does a lot of the CO2 gas out this way? Should I place the filter output lower?

Thanks in advance,
Sep.

By the way, the PH doesn't change much from the beginning of the day until the CO2 shuts off at night. It only goes from 7.2 to 7.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If the pH is only changing by 0.2 from adding CO2 to the water, the amount of CO2 in the water after adding the CO2 is about 3ppm times 10 to the 0.2 power, or about 5 ppm. That is very low, but is helpful for a low light tank. That should tell you that you are either not using a high enough bubble rate of CO2, or the CO2 you are adding is outgassing from the water agitation.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:57 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
CO2 enters my 75 gal much the same way, except I use a reactor plumbed into the canister outflow. The outflow pipe is positioned a couple inches below the surface (no spray bar) and it creates a fairly strong surface agitation.

The PH drops about 1.15 from completely degassed tank water. Obviously surface agitation is going to out gas some, I just keep it cranked to make up for whatever loss there happens to be.

To get a more accurate measure of how much the PH drops, sit a bowl full of tank water out for 24-36 hours, and test the PH of that. Measuring against current tank water at the beginning of the day assumes 100% of CO2 from the day before has out gassed. That is not always the case. So you may have a higher concentration that you think.

But it sounds like you probably need to add more co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode