Fluval Peat Pellets - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Fluval Peat Pellets

I bought some peat pellets to try and lower my ph and also i wanted a little of yhe tannins in the water. I have cardinal tetras and wanted the water to look more natural. I filled a filter sock about half way then put it in my ac 50. After a week I've seen no tannins or ph change.
Ph 7.4
Kh 4
Gh 4.
Do i need more? Package says its concentrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is strange. It's as if something like purigen is countering the humic acid. Did the gh at least go down (as humic acid will bind Ca++/Mg++)?
Do you think it is worth while to remove some water and test some peat granules in a separate container?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcmaster View Post
That is strange. It's as if something like purigen is countering the humic acid. Did the gh at least go down (as humic acid will bind Ca++/Mg++)?
Do you think it is worth while to remove some water and test some peat granules in a separate container?
Not that I've noticed, just tested GH and it was 3, and it kinda stays around 4 and 3 depending on the water changes. All I have in the canister is sponges and a little matrix. As for the AC it has sponges and the peat. I've just kinda expected the peat to release a little more tannis. I've used just raw peat before and saw different results in the past.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have added Laguna Peat Granules into the substrate. They are sold in a bag usually used for filters on ponds. They are basically peat moss compressed into rocks so arent as messy as bulk peat. If you take it and boil some r/o water then add the granules and hot water into a bucket it will sink faster. I can tell you plantes love it. Most of the roots drive right through and around them.

Some people wont like this type of use because it does not look as neat and tidy as a tank with Miracle capped with sand or all Amazonia tank, but PLants love it.

I have had success with Seachem red bottom layer. Then Peat Granules then topped with ADA Amazonia and some Humalite (like Leonardite but comes from fresh water lakes and also adds Humic Acid to Tank). The Humalite is rock hard form and does not noticibly dissolve, more dark brown colour.

Over time it all gets mixed up plants are happy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky2088 View Post
I have added Laguna Peat Granules into the substrate. They are sold in a bag usually used for filters on ponds. They are basically peat moss compressed into rocks so arent as messy as bulk peat. If you take it and boil some r/o water then add the granules and hot water into a bucket it will sink faster. I can tell you plantes love it. Most of the roots drive right through and around them.

Some people wont like this type of use because it does not look as neat and tidy as a tank with Miracle capped with sand or all Amazonia tank, but PLants love it.

I have had success with Seachem red bottom layer. Then Peat Granules then topped with ADA Amazonia and some Humalite (like Leonardite but comes from fresh water lakes and also adds Humic Acid to Tank). The Humalite is rock hard form and does not noticibly dissolve, more dark brown colour.

Over time it all gets mixed up plants are happy
Is there a specific brand of humalite that you use? I've been looking for leonardite but it's proving almost impossible to get anymore, so I might consider humalite instead.

Thanks,
Harry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode