what kind of deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
what kind of deficiency?

This is only on some plants on some of the leaf. They are turning pale white. Does anyone know what kind of deficiency this is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks like only the older leaves are turning white.

Are any there other plants in the tank? Do they look similar? If so pictures would be helpful.

What fertilizers, how much and how often are you adding them? Anything with nitrogen in it?

What substrate is that and do you have soil under it? If so how old is it?

What lights are you using, what size tank and how long are they on for?

Zapins
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
Looks like only the older leaves are turning white.

Are any there other plants in the tank? Do they look similar? If so pictures would be helpful.

What fertilizers, how much and how often are you adding them? Anything with nitrogen in it?

What lights are you using, what size tank and how long are they on for?
I have anubias, dwarf hairgrass an ambulia. Only the MC is pale. Im dosing EI KH2PO4 and KNO3 with tropica micros. The substrate is some random black substrate, i have ECS substrate under it. The age of both substrates are only a couple of months. Im using 2x24w T5HO lights with a photoperiod of 8 hours. The size of the tank is 54 L.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Is this a recent problem? If so how long did it take for the plants to get like this? Days, hours, weeks?

Quote:
How much of each of those fertilizer are you adding and how often?

Quote:
Is ECS eco-complete substrate? If so it has no nutrients in it (despite the name). It is essentially inert and you must add all the nutrients to the tank regularly to maintain plants long term without deficiencies.

Do you have access to a nitrate test kit? If so can you do a reading and post the results here. I think there is a good chance this is early nitrogen deficiency.

Zapins
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Is this a recent problem? If so how long did it take for the plants to get like this? Days, hours, weeks?

How much of each of those fertilizer are you adding and how often?

Is ECS eco-complete substrate? If so it has no nutrients in it (despite the name). It is essentially inert and you must add all the nutrients to the tank regularly to maintain plants long term without deficiencies.

Do you have access to a nitrate test kit? If so can you do a reading and post the results here. I think there is a good chance this is early nitrogen deficiency.

it took a couple of days to get like this and it has happened before, i have a feeling it is a micro deficiency but not sure.

KNO3: 66.036 g to 500ml, dose 5ml every other day.
KH2PO4: 10.059 g to 500ml, dose 5ml every other day. (same day as KNO3).

Tropica premium: 38 ml every other day to get 0.5 ppm iron. Nitrate test told me 25 ppm. PO4 test told me 3 ppm. (sera nitrate test and seatest PO4). pH is at 7.3
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Could it be due to bad circulation? it seems to mostly affect just one plant mainly.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You have not changed anything or added anything the tank since this happened? Hard to tell by the size of the photo but it almost looks like emersed growth melting or some kind of toxicity. Strange deficiency pattern imo. Could be flow, but only you can tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakian View Post
You have not changed anything or added anything the tank since this happened? Hard to tell by the size of the photo but it almost looks like emersed growth melting or some kind of toxicity. Strange deficiency pattern imo. Could be flow, but only you can tell.
well, i added the anubia and the other plant. OH i did remove the driftwood, the ph is a tiny bit higher as a result i can imagine, could this be the cause?

EDIT: everytime i do major stuff i do a waterchange.

EDIT: I ALMOST FOROGT, i did replace my old filter because it killed the fish. this is obviously the reason why.

Last edited by Nazdaq; 05-03-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As you changed the filter, it might be the cause. Might lead to less NO3 if its not properly cycled. But the plants could still use the ammonia, so doesn't make 100% sense to me. And with a lower fish load (since they died) there will also be less waste to convert to nitrogen (NH3/NH4, NO2 and NO3). This seems more likely to me. Could try adding more KNO3, say 6ml instead of 5ml, and see if that changes anything. It will definitively not hurt anything.

The pH shouldn't matter, neither the plants you added unless the have some pesticide, which is unlikely. Doing water changes after major disturbance is always a good thing...on second thought, water changes are good. Always. Period.

Bump: It might also be NH3/NH4 and/or NO2 toxicity if you don't have a cycled filter? Have you checked these parameters? Plants don't like it when these go over 2ppm, and will get whats called a nutrient burn. Do water changes to bring it down if this is the case.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
As you changed the filter, it might be the cause. Might lead to less NO3 if its not properly cycled. But the plants could still use the ammonia, so doesn't make 100% sense to me. And with a lower fish load (since they died) there will also be less waste to convert to nitrogen (NH3/NH4, NO2 and NO3). This seems more likely to me. Could try adding more KNO3, say 6ml instead of 5ml, and see if that changes anything. It will definitively not hurt anything.

The pH shouldn't matter, neither the plants you added unless the have some pesticide, which is unlikely. Doing water changes after major disturbance is always a good thing...on second thought, water changes are good. Always. Period.

Bump: It might also be NH3/NH4 and/or NO2 toxicity if you don't have a cycled filter? Have you checked these parameters? Plants don't like it when these go over 2ppm, and will get whats called a nutrient burn. Do water changes to bring it down if this is the case.
I don't have ammonia test kits but i will get some today and test for it. would 2ppm ammonia not kill the fish? Im also thinking it could be phosphorus antagonism leading to Fe deficiency, this is just a theory though and im not an expert.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most probably it would also kill the fish yes. But it was my impression that you didn't have fish, since they died. Could be Fe lock-out, but its unlikely. You need about 10+ppm PO4 before that happens.

FYI, Deficiencies in 99% of the cases, are Co2 issues. If you are dosing ferts. So you have 2 options, less lights or more Co2.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Most probably it would also kill the fish yes. But it was my impression that you didn't have fish, since they died. Could be Fe lock-out, but its unlikely. You need about 10+ppm PO4 before that happens.

FYI, Deficiencies in 99% of the cases, are Co2 issues. If you are dosing ferts. So you have 2 options, less lights or more Co2.
Lucky for me i got my sodastream CO2 adapter and regulator today

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats. Now you should see some real improvments once you get it dialed in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode