UV sterilizer and nutrients - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
UV sterilizer and nutrients

Any side effects on the nutrients if i run the uv sterilizer on permanently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Wasting your bulb. Some claim it affects Fe but no proof. It does break down Seachem Excel though agreement there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
I run mine 24/7 with no ill effects. Helps with water clarity, algae & fish health.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Wasting your bulb.
I disagree. I wouldn't run a discus tank without one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Even if it does, the benefits will still outweigh any nutrient loss.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Don't mean to hijack this thread but how would you start off installing one for a 60 gallon? How expensive is it?

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
I disagree. I wouldn't run a discus tank without one.
Personnel choice, and my most sensitive species are angels and loaches. Not as picky as the mighty Discus.
to the king.

I installed three Agua UV units and posted inquiry (just like this thread)
Tom Barr replied that unless there was an issue being dealt with, GW or new tank introductions something to warrant it that cycled a couple of times a week was all that's needed to keep things in line. While he is not the only experienced person posting on this site I do put quite a bit of stock in his opinion.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread but how would you start off installing one for a 60 gallon? How expensive is it?
It's cheap, i just attached the uv sterilizer to the output hose of my filter. If you are interested, i have a new 18watt sterilizer that i just used for 4 days. My gf bought me one pretty much the same time i got mine. Of course i have to sell the one i bought because she took the time to buy me one so i don't want to sell hers. I'll ship it with the box that it came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Personnel choice, and my most sensitive species are angels and loaches. Not as picky as the mighty Discus.
to the king.

I installed three Agua UV units and posted inquiry (just like this thread)
Tom Barr replied that unless there was an issue being dealt with, GW or new tank introductions something to warrant it that cycled a couple of times a week was all that's needed to keep things in line. While he is not the only experienced person posting on this site I do put quite a bit of stock in his opinion.
My intentions was to take out the sterilizer once it has finished its job but sometimes i get lazy and i'll end up leaving the sterilizer connect to my fiter for months before removing it. Just incase i do... at least i know i'm not doing anything negative besides wasting the bulb =)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Imho. I would not own any aquarium, fw,planted,sw,reef without a uv sterilizer. This might be old school, but I have never seen a commercial aquarium that did not have one designed into there systems.
MD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Might be interested

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
UV is great....not 100% necessary on FW, but sure is great.

I did a group buy for a bunch of cardinals through the local club. When they came in, they had ich. Popped on the UV sterilizer, raised the temp to 82, didn't have a single loss.

I run my UV 24/7 because I've never bothered to slide in a timer(laziness). No problems.

__
__

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode