Advice on adjusting water paremeters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Advice on adjusting water paremeters

I have a planted 135l planted tank. I have a canister filter.

My plan is to slowly replace my water with rodi water. The rodi water has a ph of 6.

I want to use coral chips to slowly increase the ph, gh and kh. I'm aiming for a ph of around 6.8 - 7. At the moment with my tank water I have a ph of 7.6 and kh of 2. Ive added 30litres of rodi water already.

I get my gh test kit in a day or so. Ill post that as soon as i test that. I have some seachem equilibrium but as i understand it coral chips does the same thing.

So my question is how do i slowly replace all my water with rodi water and maintain the minerals and ph because the ph probably wont drop enough for me to use the chips until most of the water has been replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You will likely need to use a fast-acting GH and KH booster before or as you add the water to the tank, unless you are doing very small water changes.

Coral chips raise GH/KH, but they do so *VERY* slowly. They are calcium carbonate, which dissolves rather slowly unless you are using something like straight hydrochloric acid.

If you do a 20% water change with RODI, your KH/GH will fall by 20% and take several days to recover. This is NOT a good thing for your fish to have your KH and GH dooing roller coasters.

Equilibirium will boost the GH, but will not increase KH.. you'd need something like baking soda, or alkaline buffer to do that part.

Are you sure you really want to replace with RODI?

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. I have some seachem alkaline buffer.

Replacing the water with rodi is a good thing isnt it?

The main reason for wanting to go to rodi is so i can decrease the ph abd hopefully increase kh and gh. Plus the other benefits of reduced algae, reduced effect to changing ph in tap water and other things that might be in the tap water.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhoward View Post
Ok. I have some seachem alkaline buffer.

Replacing the water with rodi is a good thing isnt it?
IMO, not always. There's a lot of stuff you need to put back in the water to make it suitable for fish.

That said, using RODI is a good thing if you are certain you can end up with better water when you are done because your tap contains a large amount of something problematic.

Others may differ in this opinion, but many seem to be under the impression their tap water contains horrible things that their fertilizers, and GH/KH boosters do not. Many of these are, IMO, expecting their fertilizers and GH/KH boosters are free of contaminants out to the ppb level. Sorry, you are almost certainly adding the same trivial traces of lead, arsenic, pthalates, and other things to your tank in this process.

Quote:
The main reason for wanting to go to rodi is so i can decrease the ph abd hopefully increase kh and gh. Plus the other benefits of reduced algae, reduced effect to changing ph in tap water and other things that might be in the tap water.
You can't really decrease pH and increase KH. Any KH booster you add will raise both KH and PH. The only way to decrease pH without affecting KH is to inject CO2.

But why are you trying to lower your pH and raise KH anyway?

Quote:
Plus the other benefits of reduced algae
How does RODI reduce algae?

If your tank is planted, you have to add back all the things that are necessary for plants to grow: nitrate, phosphate, potassium, secondary and micronutrients, or your plants will die too. Algae is a plant, so once you've added this stuff back, it has all it needs. Trying to suppress algae through nutrient deprivation in a planted tank is an effort in plant suppression too.

Non-planted folks may seem some benefit from the reduced phosphates, although there are other ways to do this. Things like phosgard will also take out the phosphate added by your fish food.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech

Last edited by mattinmd; 04-27-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added algae bits
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Unless you are doing native wild caught fish your tap water may be the same as the shop where you get the fish. Meaning this may be counterproductive as they may already be used to what you have for tap water.
Rams for example will be an exception to this if your tap is over 7 PH.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

side note, you might want to read Tom Barr's post (plantbrain) here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85179

Tom's the inventor of the EI dosing strategy many folks here use. He clearly has considerably more expertise in planted tanks than I do, and the same goes for most people.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will read thread when i get home from work But in the meantime what do yous suggest i do?

I have 7 guppies, 4 neon rainbowfish, 1 clown loach, 1 blovian ram and 1 rifle shrimp. Im going to need to remove the clown loach eventully.

My tap water at the moment has a ph of about 7.8. With all tap water in my tank my kh is about 3. Ill post my gh soon. I didnt mention i have root tabs in place already and flourish excel on its way.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Last edited by ajhoward; 04-27-2015 at 08:22 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not particularly experienced with Rams.. That said, my inclination is to do nothing at all.

That said, if you really need pH under 7, you either need CO2 injection or you need to take your KH down below 1.

I really don't get sites like this one:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...84&pcatid=1084

Which claims the GBR needs KH 5-12 and pH 5-7.0.

Even getting to pH 7.0 at a KH of 5 requires a CO2 concentration of 15ppm... That doesn't make any sense, as you can't get to 15ppm without CO2 injection...

So what do these fish really need? Neutral pH, or high KH.. you can't have both in a non-injected tank.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
So what do these fish really need? Neutral pH, or high KH.. you can't have both in a non-injected tank.
The relationship between pH, KH and CO2 assumes that bicarbonate is your primary (only?) buffer, which isn't always correct.

High levels of organic buffers (humic acids in blackwater), and phosphates will allow you to have a high buffering capacity at a low pH and low CO2.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am switching over to RO in my tank because my local water conditions vary wildly throughout the year, but this is not common for most people.. our municipal water comes from one of any of dozens of high altitude lakes and the parameters change suddenly without warning.. causing alot of stress to plants/fish.. it is easier to follow a nutrient calculator when I know that I am starting off at 0ppm, instead of guessing whats in the tap water this week. I tried it with tap water for a year now and its been rough, just when things are stable something changes.

I switched to RO for houseplants/orchids a few years ago and add back all the nutrients manually, they have been doing alot better and its much easier to setup and follow feeding charts.. trying to figure out wtf the tap water had done after the nutrients had been locked out was a pita. This is more work in general but less work on average.. I already have an RO system so I might as well use it is my attitude right now.

If you have stable tap water its much easier to just learn to adjust that if/as needed.. I had none of these problems before moving to the mountains.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The pH and kH will reduce during nitrification processes. Im in Sydney too, my pH out of the tap is around the same and by the time I add CO2 etc. it is a pH of 6.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABS’ Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

im not the op @onefang, just chiming in that there are people whom need RO.. dunno what municipal water is like in Australia, might be really hard well water that needs filtering.

Right now I am using kent ro right but once this bottle is empty I am going to give equilibrium a shot because I could use the cal+mag... Arm and Hammer keeps my kH good and all macro and micro nutrients get mixed back in..

fish may survive a wide range of pH but plants will get nutrient lockout if it swings too far away from neutral.. go look at a pH nutrient chart, you can show deficiencies even with abundant nutrients just from poor pH.. plants that need a specific nutrient in abundance to thrive will need to be kept at a pH suitable for absorbing that nutrient.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,

Last edited by nayr; 04-27-2015 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I could try peat But ive looked around and aparently it only softens water doesnt lower ph. If i do use ro water what do you think is the best way to do it and is equilibrium ok to remineralize?. I tried diy co2 but didnt end well. Pressurized co2 is too expensive for me.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
The relationship between pH, KH and CO2 assumes that bicarbonate is your primary (only?) buffer, which isn't always correct.

High levels of organic buffers (humic acids in blackwater), and phosphates will allow you to have a high buffering capacity at a low pH and low CO2.
Yes, you can have low pH and low CO2...

However, the original statement is you can't have both of the above *AND* a high KH, which explicitly means high carbonate content.

humic acids will lower pH, but they will also lower KH, like any acid other than carbonic acid.

Phosphate buffers will also lower KH, and GH, as they tend to cause calcium carbonate to precipitate. However, they present a strong buffer that isn't carbonate based, and thus using KH and pH to estimate CO2 with them will be misleading.. Even though the KH is low, the phosphates will buffer as if much more carbonate was present. That said, this still doesn't help you get low pH, high KH without high CO2.

So, do you know of a way to have all three? Low CO2, High KH and low pH??

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
However, the original statement is you can't have both of the above *AND* a high KH, which explicitly means high carbonate content.
The name is carbonate hardness, but that is not what we measure when we use a KH test kit, nor is that what is important to fish health.

KH test kits measure total alkalinity, or more descriptively, the buffering capacity of the water. Simply put, it is a representation of the amount of acid required to drop the pH by a large amount. Low buffering capacity, and the pH is easy to decrease with acid. High buffering capacity, and the pH is not easy to decrease with acid.

Lots of things can act as a buffer to prevent pH drops, so you can have a high measured KH even if there is no carbonate in the water and the pH is low. In the context of an Amazonian blackwater fish like Rams, the KH comes from humic acids that are acidic but also contribute significant buffering capacity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode