How to GH dose? (I've killed fish a few times now, and now I'm upset) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
How to GH dose? (I've killed fish a few times now, and now I'm upset)

I thought it was as simple as dumping in the ammount of dry GH booster into the water, during water change, and break it up (stupid stuff clumps) to let it dissolve.

Well, apparently this stuff likes the bottom or something.

The first time I did it, it seemed to burn a few cories (one died).

Second time I did it, I was more careful in 'spreading' it, and trying to dilute it as it was spread around the tank. It killed 4 remaining cories... and a random catfish that has been in the tank since it was new.. he survived so much, No one could identify him, and he had grown from around 1 inch to 2 inchs since I had gotten him. All while almost NEVER being seen. (I would always think he was dead, and then he would show up when I moved something ).

How the heck can I dose this stuff? I only have 1 remaining 'original' in there, and hes a BEAUTIFUL red tail shark. Perfect canidate for me to burn the crap out of him and kill him.

Can I just dump the powder into the filter on the back of the tank? I presume not...

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
dip a plastic cup into the tank and add the booster to the cup. Then just stir it up and pour it in.

I have never dosed a booster before but I do dose magnesium and calcium to raise gh and thats how I do it.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I've used both Equilibrium and GH Booster from Greg Watson and I just dumped them in dry. I never mixed them with water. I've never had any problems.

Something is not right with your GH Booster since it is killing your fish. Contact the supplier about your problem.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (43/100%)
I put the GH booster into a fish net and gently shake it in the tank water until it dissolve.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
I've used both Equilibrium and GH Booster from Greg Watson and I just dumped them in dry. I never mixed them with water. I've never had any problems.
+1

I would presume there to be another problem hurting your fish.
You mention your fish getting "burned". What do you mean by this?
How are you doing the water changes, what %, how frequently, what dechlorinator are you using?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I dose GH booster dry and never had a problem. It must be a bad batch or something else is killing them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

whats up with quality control in the fish world? I hear about bad batchs all the time w/ the substrates too....

using the net sounds like a good idea.

Its ONLY the bottom feeders, and it happens the day after GH dosing both times. I dont think it was by chance..

I use stresszyme for chlorine, and have been doing 50% weekly water changes for a long time, recently did the GH booster, and thats when it happened.

I would think it was a alkaline burn or something....the poor cats barbels were 'melted' and gills and such were bright red. It also came on in less then 10 hours from start to finish (over night). it HAD to be the booster.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What exactly are you using? What brand is it? What size tank? How much are you dosing? Sorry about your fish.

Mark
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
whats up with quality control in the fish world? I hear about bad batchs all the time w/ the substrates too....

using the net sounds like a good idea.

Its ONLY the bottom feeders, and it happens the day after GH dosing both times. I dont think it was by chance..

I use stresszyme for chlorine, and have been doing 50% weekly water changes for a long time, recently did the GH booster, and thats when it happened.

I would think it was a alkaline burn or something....the poor cats barbels were 'melted' and gills and such were bright red. It also came on in less then 10 hours from start to finish (over night). it HAD to be the booster.
What are you using?

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

equalibrium 1 tbl spoon after weekly 50% water change

38 Gallon tank.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
How very strange. I've been dry dosing GH booster for quite a while with no ill effects.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:36 AM

PTrader: (2/75%)
Hmmm,

Stresszyme isn't for de-chlorination. It's for biological filtration support. Stresscoat is and by the way you'll see most of the people on this forum use Prime for cholrine, it works great, you only need a very small amount, and it's cheaper! I've never seen what chlorine can do to fish first hand, but remember reading about very red gills. You said you use the booster after a water change and if you have chlorine and change out that much water, especially if your water supply upped the amount of chlorine that could be your problem. You have to look at all possibilities...

Stevie D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode