What would you expect NO3 to be on the third day of EI dosing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What would you expect NO3 to be on the third day of EI dosing?

i have a 36 gal long and have been dosing EI for around a month. i'm injecting co2 (non diy) and have 2 wpg light with good reflectors.

off of tom barrs site iv'e been dosing 1/4 tsp no3 and 1/16th tsp phosphate (dry) on day 1. on day 2 i'm dosing micro's according to his recomended instructions.

i figured i would follow this religiously for a month or so and then start adjusting up or down as necessary. this morning i did my first NO3 test (i did water change on sunday and dosed macro's, dosed micros yesterday) and my no3 read just above 0. maybe 5ppm.

i thought i might have been dosing too much but after the reading i was surprised to see it almost gone from my tank. i did add API's stress zyme on sunday (only thing iv'e recently changed) other than that my tanks only moderately planted with crypts and stem plants.

curious what you all are getting for readings for fert levels at such an interval in the dosing schedule? would you expect it to be much higher? from what i understand so far about EI i was expecting it to be at least 20ppm or so.

also i have noticed some of my plant leaves (quite a few of the stem plants, hardly any of the crypts) are chlorotic and yellowing from the edges on the older growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Have you double-checked your test kit? What does it read for tap water, and what does it read if you dose a 5 gal bucket to 10 and 20 ppm?

Many NO3 kits lack precision... hard to tell the difference between 5 and 15 ppm. You need to do a calibration first as described above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks....i will have to double check but its brand new api kit and was working ok last time i used it just over a month ago.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER9 View Post
curious what you all are getting for readings for fert levels at such an interval in the dosing schedule? would you expect it to be much higher? from what i understand so far about EI i was expecting it to be at least 20ppm or so.
I would say that this could vary greatly depending on lighting(photo period length), co2, plant mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER9 View Post
also i have noticed some of my plant leaves (quite a few of the stem plants, hardly any of the crypts) are chlorotic and yellowing from the edges on the older growth.
This does sound like a nitrogen deficiency. I assume your dosing phosphates regularly?

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
API test kit.

Make sure you shake solution #2 very very well. If it hasn't been in use for awhile, part of the reagent can solidify at the base of the bottle. Knocking the base on a solid surface a few times will help to break it up. Then throroughly shake the bottle for at least a few minutes.

If you haven't calibrated the kit then really you are guessing at best.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESTON4479 View Post
I would say that this could vary greatly depending on lighting(photo period length), co2, plant mass.

This does sound like a nitrogen deficiency. I assume your dosing phosphates regularly?
thanks...yeah i was dosing phosphate at 1/16th tsp every other day. i recently upped my dosing of ferts and increased it to 1/8tsp. i dosed this morning and will check no3 and phosphate levels tomorrow morning.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
API test kit.

Make sure you shake solution #2 very very well. If it hasn't been in use for awhile, part of the reagent can solidify at the base of the bottle. Knocking the base on a solid surface a few times will help to break it up. Then throroughly shake the bottle for at least a few minutes.

If you haven't calibrated the kit then really you are guessing at best.
hmmm...good point. i shook it for about 30 seconds or so but didn't knock the bottle good and hard to loosten and solidification. will try that tonight. i havn't had time to calibrate the kit and was planning to tonight as iv'e got the free time finally.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode