Three combinations to choose from - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Three combinations to choose from

I need to load my HOB filter which ones i can use here are the options.
Purigen
Carbon
Phosguard
Denitrite
Ceramic rings

Please tell me. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Algae Grower

It all depends on what you want to do.

In my AC filters I usually run two sponges and the ceramic media. Most of the time there is no need to run anything else, carbon ammonia chips and other stud can be added on an as needed basis but is not needed for everyday use. If you provide a little bit more information about what's going in and what you are looking to achieve then you could get a more specific answer

lots to learn...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Assuming your tank is planted:

Purigen - Chemical media - I and many others like this product, it helps polish the water up. I do not think it is in any way necessary however. Regardless, I keep a pouch of it in the C4 on my main tank and like the results. It is more selective than carbon, and would be used instead of carbon.

Carbon - Chemical media - As above, not needed on a daily basis, and may even be detrimental in a planted tank as it may adsorb some of your micro nutrients. Use as needed when removing medications from the water.

Phosguard - Chemical media - removes phosphorus which plants need. This is really more for reef and/or non-planted tanks. Could be detrimental to plant health unless you have very high phosphorus content water.

Denitrite - Bio media - This product only goes into low-flow reactors, not HOB filters. Seachem Matrix is the equivalent for high-flow setups like this.

Ceramic rings - Mechanical or Bio media - Comes in two kinds, non-porous is for mechanical filtration and mostly used in canister filters. Porous ceramic rings are one of many biomedia options, like Matrix, Substrat, etc. You'll probably want some kind of biomedia.

If you notice above, I categorized all the media into 3 categories.

Mechanical media - mechanically traps particles of stuff floating around in your water

Bio media - Hosts bacteria that break down nitrogen wastes (ie: ammonia).

Chemical media - adsorbs various chemicals (depending on the media) from the water and traps them.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've always just used a sponge and ceramic rings in my HOB's. Shouldn't really need anything else unless you have a problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My filters also are pretty heavy in the mechanical media- different cell count of sponges, floss and so on, and a small amount of bio media. Not much- the bacteria grow on the sponges, etc quite well.
Some tanks get some chemical media- hard water tanks get some coral sand, oyster shell grit or limestone/dolomite grit. Black water tanks get peat moss.
I have activated carbon and zeolite on hand for emergencies, but it has been several years since I used any of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode