When is Magnesium and Calcium necessary to dose? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
When is Magnesium and Calcium necessary to dose?

After looking at the fertilator (APC) I realized I have never dosed either of these by them self. I understand the TPN+ I use in my nano has it (Magnesium) but in my 37g where I dose KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, Flourish Iron and Flourish there probly isnt too much in there. As far as the Calcium I dont think ANY thing I dose has it.

The main reson I have been doing more research on dosing is that I cant seem to get my needle leaf stellatus to color up yet, granted it isnt even half way up my 24" tall tank and this could be the problem but I just though I would be seeing some by now.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Why not add GH booster and see?

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Im sure like you we dont put things in our tanks unless we are a) expirementing ot b) sure it will improve the situation. This time im not interested in an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Why not add GH booster and see?

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
Im sure like you we dont put things in our tanks unless we are a) expirementing ot b) sure it will improve the situation. This time im not interested in an experiment.
Plants require magnesium and calcium why would adding GH Booster be an "experiment"? If you have little to no GH seems like it would be a good idea to add it. If Tom recommends it that would be good enough for me.

Mark
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I dont follow blindly, I like making my own decisions based on the need. With that being said, I have no problem growing plants. My GH is ~5 and my KH is ~12. So im not sure if it is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
Plants require magnesium and calcium why would adding GH Booster be an "experiment"? If you have little to no GH seems like it would be a good idea to add it. If Tom recommends it that would be good enough for me.

post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
Well I dont follow blindly, I like making my own decisions based on the need. With that being said, I have no problem growing plants. My GH is ~5 and my KH is ~12. So im not sure if it is necessary.
Are your levels in degrees? 5 degrees general hardness and 12 degrees carbonate hardness? If that is so, that seems like a very large amount of carbonate hardness. Perhaps that is why your needle leaf stellatus is not growing to your satisfaction? At any rate adding GH booster with the GH level you have doesn't seem like it would have a detrimental effect on you plants. Personally I'd be looking at your KH as a suspect in your situation.

Mark
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I seriously could have switched the two, I do that all of the time. Just for accuracy sake I will test them later tonight to see what they are.

They usually are higher though, and I thought that Ca and Mg were sufficiently present when these readings were higher??? This is why I never thought about dosing them. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
Are your levels in degrees? 5 degrees general hardness and 12 degrees carbonate hardness? If that is so, that seems like a very large amount of carbonate hardness. Perhaps that is why your needle leaf stellatus is not growing to your satisfaction? At any rate adding GH booster with the GH level you have doesn't seem like it would have a detrimental effect on you plants. Personally I'd be looking at your KH as a suspect in your situation.

post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Calcium and magnesium are the general hardness component. I really think if it's only at 5 degrees it could only help to dose some. I never have until recently and I think it's helped with oddly shaped, new growth leaves that I've had in the past.

Mark
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Dosing calcium regularly will likely not be needed. Calcium doesn't seem to be utilized as readily by plants. If you have a high CEC substrate like SMS, Florite, or Turface, you'll lose some KH to that, but it sounds like you're pretty steady.

Your tank has plenty of KH, regardless of whether it is 5 deg or 12 deg. If GH is 12 deg, you're fine, but if it's 5 you may want to give GH booster a try.

My GH was consistently 4-5 deg. For 6 months I could not get L. aromatica to grow quite how I wanted. I increased lighting, changed iron levels, changed NO3 levels, changed substrate.....I did everything I could think of. (To note, I did all of these separately over a long period so that I could rule each one out). When I started adding GH booster, upping GH to 8, is when I really started to see the growth I wanted. Growth had always been good before, but the color really started to come out after increasing GH.

__
__
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
The thing with GH is that you don't know how much of it is magnesium and how much is calcium. Because of that, tossing a little GH booster in will ensure that you have enough of each. I found this true with my tank and my Gh was 12. adding 2 tsp to 125 gallons didn't even raise it to 13, but the plants showed response to it.

John

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I feel kinda foolish (maybe my test kit is bad). Just got done testing and here are the results.

KH-1 (maybe less)
GH-6

Like I said I think the test kit (AP) is a year to six months old, dont know if they go bad. The tank also has AS I and is injected with with co2.

Comments, suggestions...

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
If I remember correctly, the word from API is that GH/KH test is good for 2 years.

__
__
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you use RO water for water changes?

Mark
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
You probably already know that Seachem's Equilibrium is a GH Booster too.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...uilibrium.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
What about Kents R/O right. I use pure RO water and need to up both my GH and KH abit.

Will backing soda up the KH?

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode