New tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
New tank

(60gallon high tech)So idk if this is the best spot for this thread put I guess since it has to do with water I would put it in this sub forum. So I am about to be plants here very very soon like next week I will start my dry start with moss then the following week I'll be adding all the plants. So I am just really wanting to prepare for the thought of algae trying to take over lol. Now I will be using the ei dosing with a grand scale to make perfect amounts instead of trouble shooting. Now I have learned over the months and months of reading on the forum and googling information that the first month is when you have to be really careful about algae break out and that water changes will really help in keeping the algae down. Now I will be plant very very heavily and since the ei dosing method states a 50% water change on the seventh day i am just wondering will this be enough for the first month or should I be doing more frequent water changes for the first month till I have everything under control? Would j have to dose differently if I had to or would I just do one extra water change during the 7 days and not worry about adding more fetus in? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think anyone is going to discourage you from extra water changes - if you have the energy/time to do so, go for it.

The extra water change will effect your dosing however, and you will have to increase your dosage accordingly (water changes dilute the ferts in the water).

zorfox showed me an interesting calculator tool which allows you to see the effect of your dosing, including your water change schedule. You will see that adding a second water change dilutes down the ferts significantly; as such, you nearly need to double your dosage.

Have you seen this calculator?
This is an example ... play around with the numbers and you will see...
http://rota.la/ei/?stuff=NO3;dose=7.5

Last edited by imcmaster; 04-16-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thanks for the calculator! I noticed its in ppm :/ I'm measuring in grams so I'll have to figure out how many ppm that would be for 60gallon tank later. I was thinking that since the ads soil is so rich in ferts like, tons of ammonia lol that it would be fine if I did two 50% water changes a week and then just did the regular dosing but now that you showed me the calculator that would be easier since I wouldn't have to worry about stoping the two water changes to one and then having an algae break out of the big change in ferts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode