Plantex CSM+B dosing confusion - EI method - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plantex CSM+B dosing confusion - EI method

I made a dosing spreadsheet to calculate nutrient totals and compare them. The values are the resulting ppm in a 20 gallon tank. EI dosing instructions call for 1/32 tsp of Plantex (shown under 'rounded EI' in the spreadsheet), resulting in 0.12 ppm Fe. I'm using a modified EI schedule, dosing twice weekly, alternating micros and macros. I have large bottles of Flourish and Leaf Zone to use up first, so I haven't used the Plantex mix yet. I've been dosing the amounts shown twice weekly, resulting in 0.2 ppm Fe each time, almost twice what 1/32 tsp of Plantex would provide.

According to the nutrient calculator however, the target is 0.5 ppm Fe (shown under 'standard EI target'). I understand it's just a starting point for micros and might need adjustment, but this is a very large difference. It would take around 4X as much (or 1/8 tsp vs. 1/32 tsp) Plantex to get close to 0.5 ppm Fe. Why is there such a large discrepancy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
To get to the target in my 10g tank, I need 1/16 tsp CSM+B.
Actually if I use 10g it comes out to .46 and if I compensate for rocks/gravel/plants and use 8g it comes out to .58 on the results.
But...I had a deficiency in my Rotala Magenta that indicated low iron still.
So now I dose 1/16 tsp CSM+B plus 1/64 tsp FE @ 10%.
Mostly saying that it's not going to be harmful till you get much higher than that.
But...I would like that last statement to be co-signed by "others" on that "not
harmful" because I over did the Laterite added to my sub, and iron is the ingredient
that will get to be too much of if that is done and it harmed my plants.
But I used 4x the recommended amount. So yes too much will harm the plants.
But the above mentioned amount only gave it the right amount to keep from having the deficiency in those plants. 1/64 tsp doesn't seem like much but it's a 10g first and there
are only 7 stems of the Rotala Magenta in there. As they increase I likely will need to add more.
Forgot to add...it's a (s)low tech tank/w Excel only so I only do one dose per week on that amount.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You have to keep in mind we are talking very small increase here (+0.2ppm) and your tank isn't that big. Any slight mistake in measuring will show. And, are you taking water content into account? Not what you tank can hold, ie 20g, but whats actually in there minus substrate, rocks, plants etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode