Humic Acid Concentrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Humic Acid Concentrate

I read that humic acids increase nutrient availability, promote nutrient uptake and stimulate plant growth. And I'm thinking of using a terrestrial humic acid concentrate in my planted tank. It says it's extracted from leonardite. Is it safe? And will the humic acid be absorbed by Purigen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The word concentrate would give me pause for fear of possibly and suddenly affecting water chemistry (pH).
Might would consider pure Sphagnum peat which would also be humic acid at slower release if mixed with say soil or under fine gravel/sand.
Yes Purigen will try and remove the tannin's which stain the water but I might not use the peat if this were a concern for me.
Fishes would not mind the tannins but you or I may.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
The word concentrate would give me pause for fear of possibly and suddenly affecting water chemistry (pH).
Might would consider pure Sphagnum peat which would also be humic acid at slower release if mixed with say soil or under fine gravel/sand.
Yes Purigen will try and remove the tannin's which stain the water but I might not use the peat if this were a concern for me.
Fishes would not mind the tannins but you or I may.
thanks for your reply. i am actually concerned only on its effect on plant growth. does it have any benefits in a planted tank? i'm wishing it's the magic potion to cure all my algae woes...

Last edited by birbaliktanki; 04-15-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: correct term

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use peat mixed with soil for it's ability to release humic acids which help to slightly soften water,lower pH a little, and it's ability to adsorb/hold nutrient's for longer mixed in soil which benefit's plants.
Lower lighting if not injecting CO2 or using supplement's like Excel ,and sufficient or slightly excess macro and micro nutrient's produce fairly consistent result's with the weed's for me and other's.
Begin with lot's of plants of the fast growing variety and those that do well under lower lighting.
Patience.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birbaliktanki View Post
thanks for your reply. i am actually concerned only on its effect on plant growth. does it have any benefits in a planted tank? i'm wishing it's the magic potion to cure all my algae woes...
AFAIK, humic acid mostly helps with algae issues because it tints the water and reduces light levels. This is not to say that humic acid (from whatever source) won't be beneficial to the plants, and better growth may help deter algae some as well, I just don't think that's the primary mechanism.

However, if you're looking for a magic potion for algae woes, light/co2 balance is your usual first step (depending on the algae type, etc).

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

improved plant growth is what i'm really hoping to get out of using peat and in the process, less algae. but based on your replies, its the basic stuff that really matters in dealing with algae - co2, light and ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode