water question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
water question

hi all, im only new at planted tanks ( im sure youve heard that many times.) just a few questions bout my water, i did a test on my tap water, after leaving it sit over night and air pump going in a bucket, the ph was 7 -7.2, gh 40ppm and kh 30ppm. are these ok? i know the ph is slightly high and the gh/kh are quite low.

I also use diy co2, after making a new batch i measured the ph a day after and it was below 6. big swing in one day! now thats from too much co2 yeah? my rummynose tetras didnt look too happy, how do i stablelise the ph? as i said i use diy co2 with a glass diffuser so its a little hard to control. any suggestions?

I have read that its not really the ph i need to worry bout, more the gh/kh but as this is quite low and surely would drop with co2 aswell? can i use a buffer to harden the water? would it work?
any help would be great guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't be concerned about the pH. CO2 can't drop the pH enough to harm the fish - they would be dead from suffocation long before the pH drop could concern them.

Plants need calcium and magnesium, so GH shouldn't be too low, and you need to make sure your GH consists of both calcium and magnesium, not just calcium. With your low GH you could just use Seachem Equilibrium to add enough magnesium, or add calcium sulfate or chloride and magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) to get more GH.

We used to believe that KH had to be above some minimum number, but now many people, including me, don't bother with KH at all. Many plants grow much better with low KH, and fish have no problem with low KH.

Neither KH nor GH should change with addition of CO2, but both can drop from the plants consuming the calcium and carbonates in the water, if you don't do regular water changes.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks hoppy ur a great help. ive mainly keep african cichlids over the years, would the seachem malawi buffer do the same thing? ie up the gh for what i need in my planted tank?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I know nothing about that product, excep what I read here: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...awiBuffer.html. It seems to raise the KH and not the GH, but if you keep cichlids what require a high KH then this seems to be designed to provide that.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode