Root tabs safe for corys? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Root tabs safe for corys?

Hello,
Apologies for the newbie question. I'm pretty new to planted tanks.

My 30g is about 2 months old and moderately planted, low tech. Substrate is black sand ('Limpopo'). Hard water but other parameters good (Nitrates 20ppm, no nitrites or ammonia). Standard 2x fluroescent tubes. Temp 26. Stocked with rhombo barbs, false julli corys, a bristle nose pleco and a small angelfish.

My amazonian sword had been doing very well, growing new green leaves and thriving. Over the last fortnight several leaves (both old and new growth) have started to die from the tips, initally going brown then clear/grey as the death spreads. Lots of roots poking up all over the tank so I assume this is an nutrient issue as sand is not going to cut it. Have been adding seachem flourish for trace elements for last fortnight but new leaves keep dying. The healthy leaves also look a bit less green than they did. It seems to me that I need some root tabs but I'm concerned that my cories could dig them up and I don't know if that would be dangerous. API root tabs seem the cheapest option and I've ordered some on Amazon but there is no ingredient list which worries me (hopefully trace elements and iron only).

Thoughts?
Many thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
You will have not problem with these root tabs and your cories. Just make sure to push the tabs in deep under the plants you would like to fertilize.

Best,
Nate

Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The API root tabs are not traces.. they are macronutrients+ iron... 3-1-1 NPK and 5% iron.

I also find them to be a huge pain in the backside because they melt almost instantly on contact with water, and you have to move very fast to get it into the substrate on a deep tank before it dissolves.

That said, they seem to have no adverse effects on my cories, but I shove them down a good 1-2" deep into the substrate.

I'm not sure exactly what they're using ingredient wise offhand, but the nitrogen is mostly water-insoluble type, but it has 0.34% urea nitrogen in it.

As for your sword melt... where's your potassium source?

Flourish comprehensive doesn't count as it only has a very trivial amount of potassium, having less of it than iron... Plants use almost 1000 of times more potassium than iron, so you'd have to massively OD on iron to get any useful amount of potassium out of Flourish comprehensive. It is intended to be used with separate macronutrient fertilizers to get NPK.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. My basic understanding of fishtnak chemistry is that a stocked tank probably doesn't need a great deal of NP for plant growth but that K can be rate limiting. Naively thought the flourish had more in that it does.
Would the API rootabs do the trick potassium wise?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It should be sufficient for root feeders like Amazon sword... That said, I had no luck growing it myself, so I'm not really the best advisor here.

Obviously if you end up doing something like floaters or tying anubias to rocks, they won't get anything from the tablets...

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Highly recommend Gro Power time release aquatic plant tabs. Hand snap them into quarters and insert at 6" intervals for 3-4 months of time release ferts.

I have inserted 8 whole tabs (32 quarters) covering 16 sq ft of my 240 gal over the course of one month with zero affect on Corydoras groups in tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Have already gone with API tabs but will check them out next time (or if sword melt continues!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode