What K2S04 good for if iam dosing KN03 and KH2P04 ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What K2S04 good for if iam dosing KN03 and KH2P04 ?

Hello

I have a 40gal tank and i need to know what is the use of K2S04 if i am dosing this :

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week

What do i need it for ? as long as the KN03 and the KH2P04 are covering the NPK needs for my tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Algae Grower

hi mr khaled .. Sulfate has a role in plant protection from parasites and diseases
And important in the formation of hormones inside the cells and nitrogen fixation element
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Prolly enough K in the KNO3/KH2PO4 that you don't need the K2SO4 but it don't hurt anything to add it or not.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

EI dose of kh2po4 adds ~5% K needed according to EI.
kno3 adds ~70% K needed according to EI.
micro mix depending on brand contain additional K of upto 10-30%.

my math is based on these EI weekly numbers
NO3 25ppm
PO4 3ppm
K 20ppm
Fe 0.5ppm
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Depending on what plants and how much of them of course, and if you have injected CO2 or not because this list is based on a tank/w it, the amount of KNO3 you are using is
only twice what I use in a 10g tank.
I do only use one dose per week, but that is because I have few plants and no injected CO2. The rest of your dosing seems to be of a higher level. Didn't check to see if it's
close to what this link suggest.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944
In addition to the needed benefit of the Sulfate, the K2SO4 adds more K and brings the level up without adding more NO3 which would run up the nitrate level.
Even if you don't have injected CO2, if you have Wisteria/Water Sprite/Hygro plants
your tank could use the extra K(Potassium) from the K2SO4 to bring it up to the
recommended level at least.
But then without any injected CO2 you may only need two doses per week.
Like I mentioned before I have few plants right now so I only use one dose per week.
But I use 1/16 tsp of KNO3 AND 1/16 tsp K2SO4 in my 10g tank once a week.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As mentioned, either or .
Pin holes in leaves would be a clue for me as to appropriate K2SO4 needed..
Lot's of folks don't use it till then, assuming the plant's are getting KNO3,KH2PO4.
Also assuming EI rather than modified versions.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If your plants need more potassium but you do not want to add more nitrate, then use the K2SO4 as a source of potassium.

KH2PO4 is dosed at such a low level that it almost does not count as a source of potassium, though obviously there is a little bit.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Or..just add a little of everything and watch the plant's grow rather than trying to discern how much is too little or too much.
Too much of the dry mineral salt's is only wasting it.(does raise TDS)
Too little and plant's perform poorly.
EI method ensures next to no chance of nutrient deficiencies.
Water changes each week.
Adopt EI method and that leaves only CO2 and light to worry bout.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamezawy View Post
Hello

I have a 40gal tank and i need to know what is the use of K2S04 if i am dosing this :

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week

What do i need it for ? as long as the KN03 and the KH2P04 are covering the NPK needs for my tank
Hi Gamezawy,

I too thought that I could forego the K2SO4 dosing in my tanks thinking that the KNO3 and KH2PO4 would provide all potassium (K) I needed but I was wrong. I was also dosing GH Booster and figured the K in that would more than make up for the K2SO4 so I discontinued dosing it. What happened was kind of interesting.

Prior to discontinuing the K2SO4 my tank was doing great, plants were healthy and growing well with good top growth and healthy robust roots. After I discontinued dosing the K2SO4 I first noticed a drop in growth rates, especially in my Blyxa and Microsorum pteropus 'Trident', 'Windelov', and 'Needleleaf'. Over the 4 month period my Blyxa basically stopped growing and did the java ferns while my other plant species' growth slowed substantially. When I did have enough Blyxa to divide the roots systems were minimal that the replanted stems did not do well. The roots of the java ferns were weak, brittle, and not growing.

About a month ago I returned to dosing K2SO4 with my EI dosing. The Blyxa responded immediately with strong growth and good root growth. The java fern has put out a flush of new leaves and the roots are growing strongly. Other plants are growing more strongly as well.

I think what happened is this. My water is very soft here, 1.0 dKH and 3.0 dGH so I have very little minerals in my water. Therefore the reduction in potassium (K) by discontinuing the dosing of K2SO4 in my routine was very noticeable. My research found that potassium is responsible for strong, healthy root growth and activating many of the growth systems of plants. Of course healthy roots are necessary for plants to uptake all nutrients including nitrogen and phosphorus.

In conclusion, if you chose to discontinue the additional potassium (K) I would suggest you watch for some of the issues I described.

Quote:
Potassium increases crop yields because it:

Increases root growth and improves drought tolerance
Builds cellulose and reduces lodging
Activates at least 60 enzymes involved in growth
Aids in photosynthesis and food formation
Helps translocate sugars and starches

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 04-20-2015 at 05:12 AM. Reason: ..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
In addition to the needed benefit of the Sulfate, the K2SO4 adds more K and brings the level up without adding more NO3 which would run up the nitrate level.
That makes some sense.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is no harm from nitrates as result of dosing KNO3 for it is an inorganic mineral salt that does not go through biological oxidation (ammonia to nitrites to nitrates).
It is the process of biological oxidation that fishes feel (ammonia to nitrites to nitrates).
And some species are more sensitive than others to that process.
Folks get scared (I was) to adding the dry mineral salt which increases the nitrate levels But nitrates as result of the dry mineral salt alone are nothing to fear.
It is the over feeding,over stocking,and poor maint that result's in excess organic matter that must go through the biological oxidation (ammonia to nitrites to finally nitrates )that one needs to be concerned about.
Even then,,it takes many many more ppm nitrates than properly run tanks will ever see to have negative effect on fishes.
Plant's could care less.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode