%/freq water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Just wondering what %/frequency water changes you do, and why.

I currently have a really low tech 30g setup. One measly old flourescent, no CO2, no fertilizers. I never test my water, and the system seems to be extremely stable, with plants growing and propagating (albeit slowly) and fish appearing to thrive.

My past practice was to change 10% weekly. The tank appears extremely clean, and all inhabitants appear happy and healthy.

Reading this and other boards, I see that many if not most of you do much heavier and more frequent water changes. Why? What benefits does this confer?

Last weekend I did 20%, instead of my standard 10. My buddy was over that afternoon and asked about my changes. When I told him 20% a week, he and my wife said I was nuts. That 20% weekly was way too much.

Heck, I'm always looking for an excuse to avoid work whenever possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
maybe not the answer you're looking for but...

someone posted an ingenious method for building your own python a while back. check it out (just do a search for "python"). then you won't have an excuse!

in my experience, besides all the benefits of removing build up of potentially harmful substances, water changes are for the most part essential for planted tank maintenance (siphoning out particulate mulm, dead/dying leaves etc). some of the more learned posters may tell you of the benefits of replacing trace elements etc during changes, but i'm not an expert, so i'll leave this to them.

regards,
jart
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
On my 55 and 29 gallon tanks which are high light tanks I do about 30-50% every week. On my 10 gallon tank with lots of Endler's babies I do 20% every other day.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:10 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
On my 75 gal I do about the same as Rex , 30%-50% weekly. Mainly because I'm dosing nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and micros. I use the water change as a means of resetting the tank so that the nutrients I put in there don't get toxic. Some of this stuff is difficult, if not impossible, to test for and water changes provide a way of keeping potential toxicity at bay. My plants and fish love the water changes. Its really not a big deal if you have have a python. The hard part is taking it out of the cabinet and hooking it up to the faucet, the diference between 10% and a 40% water change, at that point ,is about 10 minutes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode