Fish behavior and upping CO2 - hiding? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fish behavior and upping CO2 - hiding?

I have recently completed an ich regimen for my cardinals - a week at 86F and salt at 1 tbsp/5 gallons H20. During that time, the outflow was just on the surface of water, to allow for some surface agitation, due to the lower dissolved O2 as a result of the higher temp. I completed the treatment last Thursday, and have been doing daily H20 changes to bring the tank closer to 0 ppm NaCl (currently, estimate .11 tsp salt/gallon).

I have also slightly increased the CO2 bubble rate, and lowered the outflow to below the water surface, to encourage a better dissolved CO2 - a recent outbreak of GSA, and plants were not pearling well enough, in my opinion. (I have a new fixture on board - 2x24W T5HO). Even though I've lowered the outflow, there is still a good amount of surface ripple - Fluval and Koralia nano in circuit flow, the Koralia close enough to the surface that the ripple almost breaks:

Fish did well during the ich treatment, and ate, behaved vigorously since - out and about.

Since this afternoon, though, they have been incognito - hiding together, low in the left rear of the tank, in a dense forest of L. aromatica, behind the DW that bisects the run of the tank. I just fed them lightly, and outside of 1 or 2, they refused to come out to eat.

They are not going high, to the surface, so I can't pin that this is a low O2 level/CO2 toxicity, but I'm stumped. Plants are really pearling now, so we're good there, but as I've had some issues with the cardinals, the last thing I want to do is stress and/or kill them.

Any thoughts as to what this behavior signifies, if anything?

"So far":
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I say dial down your c02 to the original setting and see if the fish return to normal behaviour and start eating. Then you can rule out that it is not a c02 issue.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
I say dial down your c02 to the original setting and see if the fish return to normal behaviour and start eating. Then you can rule out that it is not a c02 issue.
Yeah, did that. Although interestingly, I only dialed back the CO2 20 minutes ago or so (these are very incremental "up" and "down" changes - barely detectable movements of my fingers on the needle valves, as small a change as I can feel). Lights off as of 10 minutes ago, and fish are out and about.

What I'm getting at is that it seems this might not be CO2 related, as the dissolved CO2 content certainly couldn't have changed that much in a few minutes, but the moment lights off, they're out.

Funny critters, cards. I don't think I was fussing with the tank that much today, but I did move the Koralia around a little bit, wonder if the flow changes just rocked their sensibilities? Will observe tomorrow, but at this point, I really don't think it's a CO2 thing.

"So far":

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuryu View Post
What I'm getting at is that it seems this might not be CO2 related, as the dissolved CO2 content certainly couldn't have changed that much in a few minutes, but the moment lights off, they're out.
My espei rasboras actually behave this way also, at times.
Some weeks, most of them hide for a good portion of the day. I'm 100% it isn't CO2 related, as they will come out in the late afternoon regardless, or if I mess with the tank, or randomly if they just feel like it
They never seem stressed, just lazy.

However, the one day ALL my fish were hiding, it WAS CO2 related.

Fish are weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode