Crypt tank dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Crypt tank dosing

I've got a 20 long crypt (addiction) tank and I'm considering switching up the dosing.

Parameters:
30" Planted+ (24/7 pre-ordered though, woot!), CO2, dose the full recommended dose of Excel daily, super-hard water, a bit overstocked and well-fed fish, occasional root tabs (Nutricote or some generic tabs I've got), and so far my dry dosing has consisted of dumping in some K2SO4 and CSM+B during water changes.

I've got a wide variety of crypt species and some are getting some green spot algae, plus I think some of them could be growing a little better (and unfortunately there really aren't any fast-growing indicator species I think I could use to identify deficiencies, plus hesitant to switch parameters too frequently). I'm mostly wondering if anyone has a dosing regimen they can recommend either for their crypt tanks or other slower-growing tanks. I'm thinking of EI, or maybe PPS-pro but I don't have any experience with this system. I'm concerned full-regimen dosing might be a bit overkill for my tank and may invite even more algae problems but any advice is appreciated. I've got about anything as far as ferts at my disposal (Fe gluconate, chelated iron, CSM+B, K2SO4, KHPO4, KNO3).

Much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
So you have pressurized CO2 AND you dose excel?

I suggest dosing EI personally excessive nutrients do not lead to algae growth in and of themselves. Other factors come into play when figuring out what is causing an algae bloom, light being a biggie, CO2 being another. According to your OP your not dosing PO4 add the KHPO4 to your dosing regime and see if that helps. How long of a photo period do you have?

Dose CSM+B, K2SO4, KHPO4, & KNO3 if your nitrAtes are below 10 to 20 ppm.

Here's a good write up on the EI method or fert dosing.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=517945

And some recipes.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=647697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I've got pressurized CO2 and Excel - I was hesitant to use the Excel, as my crypts tend to stay a lot more compact and seem to have more vibrant colors, but i kind of got hooked on using it when I had a staghorn algae outbreak (which I found out was because my canister/CO2 atomizer setup was failing, but that's another story).

But yeah, I was really hoping I could cut out the PO4 and NO3 by keeping my white clouds (~18, plus a few SAEs and Otocats) well fed and frequent water changes. EI was kind of what I was leaning toward, I'm just hesitant to weigh out ferts for every day llke I did in the past . But I suppose if I want to keep my crypts happy and keep more delicate plants, I've got to put the work in.

Thanks for the tips!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode