Ammonia in Tap Water or a Bad Test Kit? Or - What killed my fish?
So I recently moved into a new place about 20 min. away from my old one and after having my fish survive in a bucket all day, I woke up this morning to find about 20 odd bodies floating/sinking. A disaster, to say the least.
I made the mistake of not testing the tap water, instead just choosing to acclimate the fish as I normally would. So today I test the tank water which has an ammonia reading off the chart. To be safe, I check the tap water as well and it matches the reading in the tank.
I can't find an expiration date on my Master Test Kit, but I'm worried that my ground water (Floridian here!) has ammonia in it which just killed all my fish! I'm thinking about running off to the local Pet* to buy another kit, but wanted to get the opinion of some here.
I would also be interested in finding out the cause of this mass death. Did I stir up the sand too much releasing ammonia? Is there ammonia in the water like the test kit says?
I have a smaller tank half filled with water with really unhappy fish and now I'm a little afraid to add water.
**Edit** I looked closer. Ammonia reagent bottles state they expire 10/2017 - so now the question is, have they expired prematurely and are giving me a false reading or do I really have ammonia everywhere.
Calming down now.. it looks like Ammonia and Chlorine are mixed to form chloramine which might be why I'm getting a positive reading for ammonia. I have prime and neglected to add it by mistake.
Last edited by psych; 03-23-2015 at 12:21 AM.