do you vac your planted tanks when cleaning them ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
do you vac your planted tanks when cleaning them ?

I was just wandering if you vac your planted tanks when you clean them. I swirl the vac just above the substrate to stir up anything that might have settled on it , and get out what I can. I don't actually disturb the substrate though. Just wandering what everyone else does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do about the same as you: Just close enough to pick up the loose stuff on top.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
In my larger low tech tank with severum in it i do deep vac the gravel because of high bio load but it is mostly planted with anubius and Java fern. I do the same as you in my high tech tank with lots of stems just hovering over the substrate to pick up any loose debris.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Planted Member

When I pull out groups of stems to trim and sell I will deep vaccum that area, but most of the time I lightly vacuum the stuff on top of the gravel. I occasionally deep vacuum parts of the tank to prevent too much buildup, as you don't want anaerobic conditions in the substrate.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd like to vac it but there are too many plants so I just go as close as possible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With every water change I always lightly vac the top of any gravel exposed and even dense clumps of java fern etc. by gently stirring the vac through the foliage. Even if I think I've done a thorough job of it I'm sometimes amazed at the amount still getting stirred up within hours of the cleaning. I do bi-weekly water changes faithfully and I always feel there is plenty of "stuff" left to break down for the plants. Maybe too much.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

When vacuuming are you just using a siphon or any special vac tool?

To date I've just used a siphon for water changes and swirled it just above the substrate to pick up anything that floats up off the substrate.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I do the same as the OP.
I got my siphon line from Loew's as they sell by the foot many sizes.
I got one that seemed right for my 10g tanks.
It's 7/16" O.D. x 5/16" I.D. and I got about 4.5' of it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 01:45 AM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
do you vac your planted tanks when cleaning them ?

I have Flourite Black Sand and use a standard gravel vac and just swirl it around to pick up any debris. I have a big tank but use one of the mini vacs because I like the suction better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:52 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
I swirl the vac just above the substrate to stir up anything that might have settled on it , and get out what I can. I don't actually disturb the substrate though. Just wandering what everyone else does.
I do this with every water change. Also I give any carpets a good vacuum by gently pressing down and wiggling the tube. Amazing how much gunk gets sucked up.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 04:03 AM
Captain

A technique that seems to work for me - use a turkey baster to shoot jets of water into the dense areas. This stirs up a lot of the mulm, then I move the gravel vac to that area to collect what is floating.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode