started EI dosing and plants stopped pearling? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
started EI dosing and plants stopped pearling?

So I'm in the middle of week 2 of EI dosing a 20 long that is planted but has no fish yet. Relatively new setup thats been filled for 8 weeks or so I think. Prior to starting the EI dosing I added a pressurized CO2 system to this tank and had lot of plants pearling for about 2 weeks or so. Seems that as soon as I started adding ferts the pearling just stopped. Any possible explanation for this?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there a possibility that CO2 is now the limiting resource (previously it was nutrients)? Since you don't have any fish, it might help to increase the CO2 flow and see how the plants respond. Do you have any idea what the current CO2 concentrations are (based on ph/kh), or do you have a drop checker (and what color is it)? Are the plants still growing well (even though they don't pearl as much)?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

heres crazy theory. pearling is water being oversaturated with gas. if plants consume more co2 then there is less gas in water hence less pearling.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
heres crazy theory. pearling is water being oversaturated with gas. if plants consume more co2 then there is less gas in water hence less pearling.
I'm sure before the EI his water wasn't saturated with CO2..... CO2 saturates water at c. 1500ppm at 25 deg C.....

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
So I'm in the middle of week 2 of EI dosing a 20 long that is planted but has no fish yet. Relatively new setup thats been filled for 8 weeks or so I think. Prior to starting the EI dosing I added a pressurized CO2 system to this tank and had lot of plants pearling for about 2 weeks or so. Seems that as soon as I started adding ferts the pearling just stopped. Any possible explanation for this?
Perhaps when you added CO2 the plants used up their nutrient stores to exhaustion, and haven't had a chance to recover yet with the ferts you are adding.... I would hold the course if you believe you are adding enough CO2.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcmaster View Post
Is there a possibility that CO2 is now the limiting resource (previously it was nutrients)? Since you don't have any fish, it might help to increase the CO2 flow and see how the plants respond. Do you have any idea what the current CO2 concentrations are (based on ph/kh), or do you have a drop checker (and what color is it)? Are the plants still growing well (even though they don't pearl as much)?
I suppose that is a good possibility and hadn't really thought of that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
interesting idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
I'm sure before the EI his water wasn't saturated with CO2..... CO2 saturates water at c. 1500ppm at 25 deg C.....

Bump:

Perhaps when you added CO2 the plants used up their nutrient stores to exhaustion, and haven't had a chance to recover yet with the ferts you are adding.... I would hold the course if you believe you are adding enough CO2.....
I do agree that I'll have to give it some more time before really worrying or anything.

As a whole, the plants seem to be doing very well and are growing at a nice rate. I do use an up aqua (?) drop checker which seems to show that theres enough co2 in the water. I am having a little trouble deciphering the colors in that thing (doesnt help that I'm color blind!). Over night its a dark green almost blue. Once the co2 and lights are up and running its a much lighter green closer to yellow actually.

I often see everyone referencing that they aim for a "bright green" in their drop checker. The color chart on the up aqua box basically shows greens as insufficient levels of co2 and sufficient is bordering on yellow so I think I'm there. I forget the exact numbers, but last time I tested the ph I think I was about 7.2-7.4 with co2 and lights off and once lights and co2 were on I was about 6.4-6.6 or so. Based on that it seems like I'm adding enough co2.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

dzega brought up an interesting idea (gas saturation). But the focus should be on O2 levels (not CO2). Pearling would be more evident when O2 gas is already saturated.
Has anything occurred to cause the O2 levels in the tank to drop? Maybe you have changed the temperature of the tank a bit? Do you try to control the O2 in any way (surface agitation changed)?

Agreed there is no big concern here (plants are growing) but this still remains an interesting mystery.

Last edited by imcmaster; 03-20-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: pearling might not be seen if O2 level low
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcmaster View Post
dzega brought up an interesting idea (gas saturation). But the focus should be on O2 levels (not CO2). Pearling would be more evident when O2 gas is already saturated.
Has anything occurred to cause the O2 levels in the tank to drop? Maybe you have changed the temperature of the tank a bit? Do you try to control the O2 in any way (surface agitation changed)?

Agreed there is no big concern here (plants are growing) but this still remains an interesting mystery.
I've actually dropped the temp a bit (maybe a degree or two) which should lead to higher o2 levels in the tank right?
I'm not running an air stone in this tank (yet anyway...might run one at night once its stocked with fish) and am not trying to add o2, but its running on a fluval canister which can have high surface agitation if I dont often top off the tank. I suppose when I was noticing the most pearling could have coincided with a lower water level/more surface agitation leading to more o2 in the tank?

Rich's Fishes
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe you have figured it out.
If you increase surface agitation, then more O2 exchange with the air, and the O2 concentrations rise in the tank (so pearling would be seen).
Plus the decrease in temp would allow a higher O2 concentration.
Both together could explain why release of O2 by the plants now is not so visible, but is happening nevertheless (as witnessed by continued growth).

Last edited by imcmaster; 03-20-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: more surface agitation = higher O2 in water??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode