nitrifying bactera. lets talk about it - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
nitrifying bactera. lets talk about it

Hi, after a weird accident i had ive decided to talk about it.

this hapened in 29gal tank, wich is high tech, has external filter with roughly 1 liter ceramic and 1 liter sponge filtration. and a cheap prefilter on input tube. PH=~6.5, TDS=~200ppm, CO2 drops PH by roughly 1 unit so its ~30ppm. tank is understocked(6 tetras, 1 BN pleco, 2 otto) with light feeding.

I changed the prefilter, cleaned the filter tubes and rinsed the filter in tap water without touching or even opening it. After few days i was able to measure small amounts of nitrites. with the same test kit nitrites are 0 in other tank, so blaming on test is pointless here. nitrites remains measurable for 3 days now.

so now im thining.. what did remove or kill Nitrobacter bacteria, wich is responsible for No2-->No3 convertion?
Could it really be that those dirty tubes and pathetic prefilter contained more bacteria than fancy external filter with high volume of ceramics and sponges?
Could it be rinsing filter in tap water wich has different PH and temperature killed it?
Could it be my tap contains some alien chemical particles that hurts the bacteria?
none of this makes sense according to http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

anyone has any thoughts on the subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Chlorine or Chlorimine is used in tap water to kill germs/bacteria.
That may be a clue...LOL...
Typically...the ceramic is never touched unless clogged completely.
Then you shake out the gunk from the sponge in the tank water that you have in a bucket into which you drained it when you did a water change.
The conditions in the filter are better for that Beneficial Bacteria growth than the rest of the tank, but the entire inside surface aria of the tank also has some of that bacteria on it. So the filter will renew it's self but just watch the nitrite level and correct/w water changes till it goes away if it gets too high.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nitrobacter seems to be the delicate one.... I've seen heaps of reports of nitrite spikes after all sorts of mishaps - medications, filter cleaning etc

The document you linked stated Nitrobacter doesn't like pH of 6.5 or less, maybe they are operating on the edge of survival most of the time in your tank, and a little nudge caused a degree of decompensation?

I've had a filter cycling in a bucket in my garage since Christmas, it took a few weeks to cycle completely and I fed it a couple of times a week, then neglected it for several weeks. When I decided to 'wake it up' for use in a quarantine tank by adding ammonia, the ammonia level would drop from 1-2ppm to 0ppm after the first day, it took 10 days for the huge nitrite spike (deep pink) to stop.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Chlorine or Chlorimine is used in tap water to kill germs/bacteria.
That may be a clue...LOL...
i am trying to find some papers on this. so far without success. but internet is big enaugh to keep searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
Nitrobacter seems to be the delicate one.... I've seen heaps of reports of nitrite spikes after all sorts of mishaps - medications, filter cleaning etc

The document you linked stated Nitrobacter doesn't like pH of 6.5 or less, maybe they are operating on the edge of survival most of the time in your tank, and a little nudge caused a degree of decompensation?
PH got my attention also, but arent we all running high tech tanks with ph less than 6.5 ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep my ph at or above 6.5 as below that the bacteria are operating at or below 10% efficient. It may be that a 2% drop in population due to cleaning corresponded with a .25ppm. Essentially,

10/100 = x / 4ppm (guess bioload total)

x = 40 / 100

x = 0.4 ppm or close enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=836778

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
i am trying to find some papers on this. so far without success. but internet is big enaugh to keep searching

PH got my attention also, but arent we all running high tech tanks with ph less than 6.5 ?
The link you sent has a section on the effects that chlorine and chloramines have on bacteria ... "Residual chlorine or chloramines will kill all nitrifying bacteria". As raymond says, rinse sponges in drained tank water.

The equilibrium pH level of any high tech tank will depend on several factors, and may be balanced at a wide range of ph values, including higher values like 7.0. The alkalinity of your tank (as measured by kH) is a starting point. If you have a high kH, your starting pH may be even 8.0. Then you inject CO2 and the equilibrium shifts down (by about 1.0). Acidity in the tank (tannic acids, etc) drops the equilibrium even further if you have higher concentrations of them. If you have a pH of 6.5, I expect you have a reasonably low kH (3 or less?), or quite high acidic properties in your tank. My kH is 7+ and even with high CO2 I have difficulty getting below pH 7.0, even with driftwood leaching tannic acid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode