Here I am suffering from severe confusing with no real answer..(well maybe one) BUT I wanted everyone opinion!
I bought an API GH/KH liquid test kit from my LFS. I use RO water in my 8 gallon shrimp tank and wanted to check the GH before re-mineralizing the water.
The instructions for Gh read :
1. Rinse a clean test tube with water to be tested.
2. Fill the test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested.
3. Holding the bottle vertically, add GH Test Solution, one drop at a time. BE SURE TO COUNT THE NUMBER OF DROPS BEING ADDED.
4. Cap the test tube and invert several times after each drop.
5. The test is complete when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turns from orange to green. If yo have difficulty discerning the color after the first drop of test solution is added, remove the cap from the test tube and, while holding it over a white background, look down through the tube.
6. The GH value is determined by the number of drops of reagent that must be added to turn the water in the test tube green. (See GH and KH Conversation Chart at end of instruction leaflet) * Refer to pics *
Heres the problem(s) - I never got an orange color using my RO water or my tank's water. I also never got a true "green" color from either water. I obtained a "lemon-lime" (ish) color from 25-30+ drops FOR RO WATER......somethings not right.
I found another forum where people posted their results...
The pics demonstrate; the orange vs. green coloring, my "lemon-lime" color, and someones (1, 10 and 20) drops into their RO water.
Several other people have similar issues online. I also noticed the BOX SHOWS 2007 for the date (though it doesn't list any expiration).
Bump: Per the instructions
# of drops/ dKH/ ppm GH/KH
1 1 17.9
2 2 35.8
3 3 53.7
4 4 71.6
5 5 89.5
6 6 107.4
7 7 125.3
8 8 143.2
9 9 161.1
10 10 179
11 11 196.9
12 12 214.8 (Chart ends)