All In 1 Dry Fert - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question All In 1 Dry Fert

I get my all in 1 dry fert from select aquatics It contains: Calcium sulfate, Iron sulfate, Magnesium sulfate, Manganese sulfate, Molybden, and Biotin

What all in 1 dry fert do you use? Cost? Place of purchase?

Last edited by Hilde; 03-18-2015 at 01:35 AM. Reason: changed title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use CSM+B as my micronutrient mix, which is closest to what your mix is. I also use KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 for macronutients, and DPTA Fe.

I get mine from nilocg over in the for sale forum:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=832018

Same stuff is available from Green leaf Aquariums online.

I also use Seachem Equilibrium for GH boosting, which has calcium sulfate in it..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
I use CSM+B as my micronutrient mix, which is closest to what your mix is. I also use KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 for macronutients, and DPTA Fe.

I get mine from nilocg over in the for sale forum:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=832018

Same stuff is available from Green leaf Aquariums online.

I also use Seachem Equilibrium for GH boosting, which has calcium sulfate in it..
My your are making this quite complicated. I thought since you had gone to so much trouble on deciding on ferts that you would have a thread on Dutch style aquascape with bright colors. You don't have 1 though.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Complicated?

I'm just doing something very close to ordinary EI-low light dosing...

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Complicated?

I'm just doing something very close to ordinary EI-low light dosing...
Well weekly I just dose Complex dry fert and Iron sulfate. For my red plant I feel I need more iron. So compared to what I do yours system is more complex.

Why don't you have a thread on your tank?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I get my complex dry fert from select aquatics It contains: Calcium sulfate, Iron sulfate, Magnesium sulfate, Manganese sulfate, Molybden, and Biotin

What complex dry fert do you use? Cost? Place of purchase?

Is that the only fert that you are using? That appears to be a custom mixed micronutrient, what about the macrosnutrients?

Have you had good luck with it? How long have you been using it?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use KH2PO4, KNO3 and seachem trace plus iron. Occasionally I add K2SO4.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't made a thread on my tank because I'm not really doing a whole lot that is out of the ordinary here. The only thing extraordinary I've done is hack a dimmer into a Finnex light.

The kind of Fertilizer dosing scheme I'm using is *VERY* popular here. EI is usually used by the CO2/high tech folks. EI-low light or PPS-Pro is usually used by the low tech folks.

These regimes are so popular there are a number of websites out there designed to help you compute dosage amounts for EI, EI low light, or PPS-Pro..

http://calc.petalphile.com/

http://rota.la/

By doing EI low-light I'm just following Tom Barr's recipes....

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Is that the only fert that you are using? That appears to be a custom mixed micronutrient, what about the macrosnutrients?

Have you had good luck with it? How long have you been using it?
Once a month I dose KNO3 and Sodium Bicarb.

I have been using it over 6 months. My tank was running fine until I added another T5NO strip over the 20g long for Alternanthera reineckii. Thus BBA, which had years ago when I started, started coming showing its horns. So I moved the Alternanthera reineckii and other plants that need Co2 added to a 20g high. Now the Alternanthera reineckii is the only plant that has some BBA on it. Once I get DIY co2 with citric acid going regular it should go away.

Quote:
I haven't made a thread on my tank because I'm not really doing a whole lot that is out of the ordinary here. The only thing extraordinary I've done is hack a dimmer into a Finnex light.

The kind of Fertilizer dosing scheme I'm using is *VERY* popular here
A lot of people have threads on their ordinary tanks , even if they look ugly. I am imagining that your tank has lushes growth.

I looked into the EI dosing. You have to do weekly water changes with it. I started a planted tank for I don't want to change the water more than 1x a month.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you'd need more nitrates. The BBA may be due to nutrients bottoming out?

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
I think you'd need more nitrates. The BBA may be due to nutrients bottoming out?
Yeh that was the problem when I started my tank years ago. So I started dosing KNO3 weekly when I saw it. KNO3 is up to normal. Since it started after increasing my lights it is Co2 deficiency this time.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
A lot of people have threads on their ordinary tanks , even if they look ugly. I am imagining that your tank has lushes growth.
Well, some of my plants grow very well... Willow hyrogros and crypts are taking over the world in my tank. Rotalla rotundafollia melted really bad, as did myriophyllum mattogrossense.

I suspect the melting had to do more with light levels and crowding than nutrients.

Quote:
I looked into the EI dosing. You have to do weekly water changes with it. I started a planted tank for I don't want to change the water more than 1x a month.
Yeah, that's the drawback of EI, and why some folks pick PPS-Pro for low-light use.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Once a month I dose KNO3 and Sodium Bicarb.

I have been using it over 6 months. My tank was running fine until I added another T5NO strip over the 20g long for Alternanthera reineckii. Thus BBA, which had years ago when I started, started coming showing its horns. So I moved the Alternanthera reineckii and other plants that need Co2 added to a 20g high. Now the Alternanthera reineckii is the only plant that has some BBA on it. Once I get DIY co2 with citric acid going regular it should go away.

So you arent dosing any phosphate?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
So you arent dosing any phosphate?
The city does that for me.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The city does that for me.

haha thats nice of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode