Tap water opinion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tap water opinion

I wanted to get opinions on my town's tap water from other people. Is it safe enough to use for with water changes along with API Stress coat for dechlorination? I would rather not buy an RO unit to install in my apartment, but will if necessary. Would a 50/50 mix with distilled water be better? Do they sell smaller somewhat portable RO units?

Tank is a 6 gallon edge with daily ferts, purigen & co2 injection. Plants include HC carpeting & small variety of others. Fauna includes 2 dwarf puffers, 1 oto, 2 amano. According to aqadvisor I need 59% water change weekly, or 35% bi-weekly.

Water Report PDF (starts at page 3) http://www.montclairnjusa.org/dmdocu...ality-2013.pdf

Some highlights:
Nitrate (ppm) 2.27
Copper (ppm) 0.1032
Lead (ppb) <2
Chloride (ppm) 156
Hardness [as CaCO3] (ppm) 331

pH (units) 7.75
Sodium (ppm) 18.9
Sulfate (ppm) 29.3
Total Dissolved Solids (ppm) 488

Last edited by sl3xx; 03-17-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added water change amounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Using Tap Water

Hello sl...

"Treated" (I use Seachem's "Safe") tap water is fine for the vast majority of fish you get at the pet store, they'll adapt. They have for decades. pH, hardness and all the other chemicals that make up the tap water aren't important to a healthy tank. Changing out a lot of tank water and doing it often is important. Small tanks need large water changes every few days to keep the dissolved fish wastes out of the tank. The longer the old water stays in the tank, the worse the environment for the fish and plants.

Work up to the point you're changing half the water a couple of times a week and your fish and plants will be healthy. Consider a much larger tank. They're more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, BBradbury. I think I'll do another large water change tonight. (50%)

Even though I want a larger tank, for now this nano will suffice!

Is there anything I should know about my tapwater? Do any of the parameters concern you specifically?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you want RO, for that size of tank, I'd just get a few gallon jugs and buy it for 25cents a gallon. That's less than $1 a week. Somewhat of a hassle but that's what I'm doing with my big 40g tank. I do the 5gl containers tho.

I didn't want an RO system b/c I heard it takes a lot of water to get a little RO - we pay for water (and I don't like wasting water) so I thought that would be very wasteful and expensive. Of course, I feel like I'm being very wasteful dumping my tank water out. I'll use it outside when it warms up enough.

just a thought

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's definitely an option!

I just wanted to get some more knowledge peoples' opinions on my water quality before I even considered it. I live in a pretty densely populated area and have heard that Northern NJ's tap water is on-point, although I haven't verified the sources. My landlord pays for water (and it's stupid cheap) so that cost wouldn't be an issue... I'd just like to know what I'm working with first.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tap Water Chemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl3xx View Post
Thank you, BBradbury. I think I'll do another large water change tonight. (50%)

Even though I want a larger tank, for now this nano will suffice!

Is there anything I should know about my tapwater? Do any of the parameters concern you specifically?
Hello again sl...

You don't need to know anything about the tap water. You just need to use a treatment that removes chlorine and chloramine. Large, frequent water changes will remove the ammonia and nitrite that are toxic to fish. Nitrate is at the end of the nitrogen cycle, so at a low level, roughly 20 to 30 ppm, it isn't harmful to fish. It's a good idea to add a floating plant like Hornwort to the tank. Just drop in some individual stems and this natural water filter will help maintain a bit healthier water chemistry between water changes.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, BBradbury! You've put me at ease.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

How about simple test from your own tap?
PH,KH,GH,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.
The TDS measurement is helpful but tell what the solids are.
Then set water fro tap aside for 24 hours to out gas and test PH again.This is your actual PH.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I tend to agree, none of those parameters are at all alarming for general fish keeping..

Yeah, the water is a little bit hard at 331ppm/18.5 dGH, but fish adapt over time to all kinds of conditions.

Also, if the fish you have are already adapted to those parameters, suddenly changing to "better" parameters could actually kill them. Take any changes that you make slowly and give your fish a chance to adapt.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode