Information about EI Index - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Information about EI Index

Do i have to go according to the EI calculator for ESTIMATIVE INDEX or EI Daily.

Little confused in that.
I want to make a DIY fertz with Potassium Nitrate and not getting exactly what option to choose for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The EI method gives a relatively generous dose of fertilizers with the goal of doing a 50% water change to get the levels back down. This means the plants do not suffer any deficiencies.
The basic recipe is based on dosing 3 times per week.

Here is how the recipe looks for the original EI. The recipe has changed a bit, and there is a somewhat different one for low tech tanks. This one can be used for sort of low tech.

Recipe:
20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Example:
If you are running a 20 gallon tank with CO2 and high light, or a 40 gallon without CO2, and moderate light then use this recipe to get started.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly

1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week. So, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday give the tank 1/4 tsp KNO3. That is 3/4 tsp once a week, but it is spread out to make the levels more even.

1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week. Can be mixed in the same bottle as KNO3, dosed on the same days.

1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week Use GH booster if your water is too soft. Generally added to the water when you do a water change. The amount you use will depend on how soft your water is and what fish you are keeping. Plants and fish need the minerals that we measure as GH, but some fish thrive in water that is a lot harder than others.

5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week The dosing here depends on what product you are using. The 1/16 tsp is a product made by Plantex called CSM+B. Dose this on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. If you are using some other trace mineral supply then look up the ingredients and see how it compares to CSM+B and try to dose a similar amount without going over.

Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week. I dose Iron at 1/4 as much CSM+B with the CSM+B. I use a dry form of chelated iron. If you are using some other product that is different, then adjust the dosing as needed. If you have a test kit for iron, then 1-2 ppm is about right. Some of this will come from the CSM+B, and some from the additional iron product if you decide to use it.

OK, now lets figure out how to mix these:
What size tank? (or tanks- if you will be dosing the same, add them all up)
How much do you want to give those tanks? Total amount of each product you will use each time you dose.

How long do you want your mix to last? 1 week? 2 weeks? Longer?
Lets set up 1 weeks worth.
The doses above are for 1 day, and you dose 3 times per week, so multiply by three.

Put that much dry product into 2 bottles.
KNO3 and KH2PO4 in one bottle.
Traces and iron in the other.

To add water:
Divide your total gallons of all the tanks you will be dosing by 3.
Then add that many ml of water to each bottle.
Dose @ 1 ml per every 3 gallons of tank volume.

Example:
If I was dosing a 40 gallon low tech tank for 1 week I would put into the first bottle:
3/4 tsp KNO3
3/16 tsp KH2PO4
40 ml water.

I would put into the second bottle:
3/16 tsp CSM+B
1/16 (scant) tsp Chelated Iron
40 ml water.

Dose 13 ml of macros on M-W-F, and 13 ml of micros on T-Th-Sat.
Water change on Sunday.

After you have worked with the concepts and see how your tank responds you may adjust the recipe.

Tags
ei calculator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode