PH Crash --- Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
PH Crash --- Help

When I got home last night my PH had crashed. It was down to 5.9 I'm running pressurized CO2 with a controller. Normal reading is about 6.3. I'm on a well and the water is soft with a PH at 7.0. I did a water change on Saturday. The only thing I did different was add Stress Coat Plus(enough to treat the whole tank) and added the water very slow.
My drop checker never changes colors. It always stays blue.
Should I be adding anything to the water since it is soft? I have a couple of German Blue Rams. Did have 4 can only find 3 now

I did a water change last night and the PH came right back to 6.7 and then the CO2 kicked in. I only changed about 20 gallons out of the 125 gallon tank. Should that little of a water change cause that much change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
OK, so your pH went down to 5.9 with CO2........
It will do that with very soft water. Are the fish stressing out? No?
Then you shouldn't.

With very soft water you have less buffer. As a result when you add CO2, the pH will drop more. I know plenty of people with Soft water running mid-5's with beautiful tanks.

Now about your drop checker, what kind of water did you put in it?
Aquarium water\ a KH4 standard\ just indicator?

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The drop checker is the Double drop checker filled with the liquid it came with. The upper color is nothing like any of the pictures on Green Leaf. It is a very light blue almost clear. I thought it had something to do with the CO2 but the drop indicator is still the same as when the PH was running at 6.3. Is there a way I can verify the drop checker?

Is there a "best" placement for it? Should I have more then one? I have a 125 gallon tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Drop check position is important. If you put it right over or in the path of the CO2 source, you'll get a false high reading. I try to put mine in the low-CO2 area. I couple that with watching the fish. I adjust slowly over the course of hours (Making me wait for Saturday or Sunday to adjust).

Hopefully Orlando can Chime in. Send him a PM he usually will help out.
To my understanding the bottom bulb should show the optimum color, and the top bulb should show you tank conditions.
A 4d KH should be a nice royal blue out of the aquarium in regular "air".
Also remember that these things take a while to adjust to show you how much is dissolved.

How are you diffusing CO2 across the 6'?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Currently I have the air line going it to a piece dowel and then that stuck in the output of my power head. I know not the best. I broke my glass diffuser trying to get the airline off so I could clean it.
I have my plumbing drying to put in a Danner Mag 9.5 needle wheel closed loop to inject the CO2. The output will be installed at the center of the tank and then Teed at the bottom and then run a couple of inches each direction. Hopefully get that installed tonight.
I don't think my drop checker will turn that color when I take it out of the tank. I will try that tonight.

Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can add a drop of API pH indicator to both solutions in the double bulb drop checker and get a more intense, easier to read color. I verified with Cal Aqua that this will work, and tried it myself successfully.

If you stop looking at pH, and start working to get good CO2 concentration and distribution in your tank you will gain a lot. It is going to be hard to get good distribution of CO2 in that big and long a tank without using at least two different injection points in the tank, and really good water circulation in the tank. A Koralia type powerhead or two would help a lot with that.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have the Danner Mag 9.5 plumbed in and running. The output into the tank is at the center of the tank an tees off in both directions. It is only a couple inches off of the bottom. I managed to break off the bottom ball of the drop checker. Dropped it in the sink
I did take it out of the tank and it did not get as blue as the picture. I cleaned out the upper ball and put new solution in it. Still not blue like the picture. I will try adding API pH indicator to hopefully distinguish the color better. Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode