High KH2PO4....I mean Phospate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
High KH2PO4....I mean Phospate

Hola amigos,

I'm having extremely high KH2PO4. I'm not sure if is from my Eco-complete or something else. Is there a way to lower KH2PO4? Also, What are the consequences of having high KH2PO4?

Thanks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
you mean phosphate which is PO4? How high is high? If its over 3, do a 50% water change, otherwise leave it and monitor it.

John

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is off charts.... Is this harm for fish or plants?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're using tap water for water changes that may be the source of your high Phosphate levels. Some cities put it in their water on purpose for various reasons, slowing down corrosion in their pipes is one reason. From my experience you run a higher risk of algae problems the higher your Phosphate gets. Anything over 5 ppm and I have algae issues. You can get a Phosphate sponge to take some or all of the Phosphate out of your water but your plants use Phosphate so you'll want some level in your tank.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah my tap water already has Phosphate 2ppms or something like that, but in my aquarium the readings goes over 5ppms. I don't doze phosphates at all because of that reason.

I was thinking to use this on my filter to reduce phosphates

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...hosguard2liter

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Yeah my tap water already has Phosphate 2ppms or something like that, but in my aquarium the readings goes over 5ppms. I don't doze phosphates at all because of that reason.

I was thinking to use this on my filter to reduce phosphates

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...hosguard2liter

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Well, my tap water phosphate levels 5+ ppm(off the charts). And yeah I am testing with a calibrated test kit so the readings are accurate. I don't dose phosphates but even when I did, I don't recall any major issues. I do 50% weekly water changes on all my tanks so you can be sure that I am adding quite a bit of phosphates. As you can see from my signature tanks, there are no major issues, either with growth or algae.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless you can 100% confirm any issues that you have that may be high phosphate related, I would not mess too much. Plants need phospate to grow. You could do more harm than good by removing the phosphate with filter resin or media. Just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I would do the 50% water changes. This will cut it down to be 1 + level/2. The 1 is the PO4 level of your tap water divided by 2.

a tank level of 10, would go to 6
a tank level of 6, would go to 4

This would get it under control quickly. If it is raising from the Eco-Complete, that should stabilize soon. If its not the Eco, its your feeding that would cause it.

John

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

Hmmm if you're not dosing phosphate it has to be coming from somewhere, when's the last time you cleaned your substrate? Phosphate levels can increase in older tanks if the substrate hasn't been cleaned in a while. I wouldn't bother with adding stuff to your filter when you can easily lower your PO4 levels by doing several water changes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks to all of you guys!

Really I haven't found any problems with high phosphates. I some BBA and some sort of fungus on my fish, but BBA is almost gone and is not for high PO4 as well as the fungus.

I just wanted to know if this would end up in a problem.

I always perform 50% water weekly and the normal maintenance.

Thanks anyways!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...st-left-c.html tells you what you need to do: calibrate your phosphate test kit. Not doing so means you have no way to tell if you have high phosphate or low phosphate. Until you verify that the test kit is good, don't do anything.

Hoppy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...st-left-c.html tells you what you need to do: calibrate your phosphate test kit. Not doing so means you have no way to tell if you have high phosphate or low phosphate. Until you verify that the test kit is good, don't do anything.
Good point!

Thanks... I'm going to calibrate the test kit an see the real result.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Hey lopez I had the same problem. It turns out we do have high phosates in NYC. Last time I had over 10ppm. It didn't really cause me any major problems though. I dosed KH2PO4 and still no really problems. I stop dosing as well, and I couldn't really tell a difference. So don't worry ur not in toxicity range or all my stuff would have been gone a long time ago.

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Dr. Tran!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode