Tank still cloudy after six weeks... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank still cloudy after six weeks...

I set a new plant tank six weeks ago. I added fish and lots of stem plants within a few days of initial set up. I also used 3-4 inches of eco complete. The bio load has been light throughout my attempt to cycle this tank.

The water seems to have a constant bacteria bloom. It's not green, it's white/cloudy.
It's not terrible, but it's not like my other tanks that have crystal clear water. It's been over three weeks now of cloudy water. My only thought is that the heavy plant mass and water changes from the EI dosing method is slowing down the cycle process or causing the tank to cycle over again after each major water change.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
have you tested your nitrate, ammonia, etc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
have you tested your nitrate, ammonia, etc?
I have and everything is testing normal. Furthermore, I've had one Microgeophagus Ramirezi (Ram cichlid) and six Rummynose in the tank for 5 of the 6 weeks. I keep and breed Microgeophagus Ramirezi, although I'm still working on raising the fry. Anyway, this fish will not tolerate unfavorable water conditions. That's another indictor that my water perimeters are acceptable. This is very puzzling.

Also, I have not disturbed the substrate, uprooted a plant, etc. for over two weeks. When I make a major water changes (via EI method), my water is clear, but by the next morning, it is cloudy again. That has to be a bacteria bloom. I just cannot believe how long it's tanking to clear up. It's driving me nuts.

I know carbon is frowned up in planted tanks, but I added some to HOB filter last night and plan to run it for 24 hours. I checked the tank this morning, and the water is still cloudy. It doesn't appear that the carbon is making any difference.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I had a 20H setup last spring that took 10 weeks to cycle. Not sure why but I couldn't stand that tank after awhile. Plants did fine fish and shrimp didn't last.

I setup my tank with Aquasoil in december and had it cycled in less than 3 weeks but I didn't do a single waterchange until the day before I added my CRS.

I know there were some problems with some eco complete raising gh or kh.

Not sure though.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
I have and everything is testing normal. Furthermore, I've had one Microgeophagus Ramirezi (Ram cichlid) and six Rummynose in the tank for 5 of the 6 weeks. I keep and breed Microgeophagus Ramirezi, although I'm still working on raising the fry. Anyway, this fish will not tolerate unfavorable water conditions. That's another indictor that my water perimeters are acceptable. This is very puzzling.

Also, I have not disturbed the substrate, uprooted a plant, etc. for over two weeks. When I make a major water changes (via EI method), my water is clear, but by the next morning, it is cloudy again. That has to be a bacteria bloom. I just cannot believe how long it's tanking to clear up. It's driving me nuts.

I know carbon is frowned up in planted tanks, but I added some to HOB filter last night and plan to run it for 24 hours. I checked the tank this morning, and the water is still cloudy. It doesn't appear that the carbon is making any difference.

that is certianly a puzzeler, how much lighting are you using? might you also be running to high on your EI dosing?

have you run your ammonia tests first thing in the AM?

As to the carbon, never heard of any issues with carbon and Plants, Carbon and medications yes, but not with plants.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
what is a major water change? how much are we talking 50%?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
what is a major water change? how much are we talking 50%?
Yes, dosing EI method calls for 50% water changes.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I thought of another possible cause for the slow cycle/cloudy water. The good bacteria (Nitrococcus) needs a good supply of O2 to grow and survive. My tank has a constant surface scum and little surface disruption (so the CO2) does not leave the water.

I wonder is if this is counterproductive when trying to grow the a good base of Nitrococcus? It seems like it could be.

Any thoughts?

By the way, the water is still cloudy (not green) today. I have no fish problems and my Amano shirmp are doing well. The water perimeters measure correctly. I feel like changing 70-80% of my water to see what happens, but I'm worried about the livestock with changing that much water at once.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank looks like the one in this thread. The situation is similar.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...water-fog.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had the same issue...

When I started my 75Gal, It looked like that for about a month or so. I was afraid to add fertz cause I thought it was the "pea soup" algae. I convinced myself that it was a bacteria bloom and started to add fertz. I was right, when I added fertz, it went from that milky white color to green... I borrowed a diatom filter and it fixed the problem. Then a month later the water turned milky white again, so I just borrowed the diatom filter once more. I haven't had problems since.

I hope this helps some
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I pulled out my old Magnum 350 today from the crawlspace. I used the diatom filter and powder that came with it (I never used the diatom function before). Anyway, the tank cleared up a good deal, but once the lights kicked on for a few hours, I swear it started to get cloudy again.

Could I have a floating algae issue without having green water? My water is not green. I poured some in a white paper cup and the water is colorless.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode