side effects to too much co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
side effects to too much co2?

I just got my drop check in. It says i have too much CO2. Plants and live animals in the tank seems to be doing fine. Should i leave it or should i reduce the CO2? Are there any side effects to too much co2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Gasping fish at the surface.

My drop checker is ALWAYS yellow. I also have a decent amount of surface agitation in the tank which lets me know that there is also a good amount of o2 in the tank aswell.

DC's are a good tool to get your co2 levels where they need to be but if you have a good co2 setup then after you find that level you can almost take it out and just watch the tank for signs of sucess.

What is your setup BTW?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Did you use 4dkH water, or tank water in the drop checker?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Excellent question, didnt even think of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
Did you use 4dkH water, or tank water in the drop checker?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

i used whatever came with the drop checker kit.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
which was??...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Its quite possible it was just indicator solution
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The readings you have are false then. I have no idea why the DC manufacturers tell you to add tank water. What you need to do is search 4dkh solution and either make some (not worth it to me) or buy some. With that and the indicator solution your drop checker will exhibit the colors that represent the cartian co2 levels at the correct time. Blue- not enough green-adequite yellow-now the plants are really happy!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Also make sure you don't have the drop checker right in the flow of your CO2 (or above a diffuser), you will get a false High reading.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I am using the solution that came with the box with i believe is 4dkh as it's labeled "solution." It's placed away from the diffuser. The color i have closely resemble the first color of too much co2 using this chart http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...ble-check.html.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Buy this then put 4-5 drops of the ph reagent in it then you will have a proper reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o snap its eric View Post
I am using the solution that came with the box with i believe is 4dkh as it's labeled "solution." It's placed away from the diffuser. The color i have closely resemble the first color of too much co2 using this chart http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...ble-check.html.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

i dont think i have a faulty solution. This is straight out of the box cal lab equipment and solution.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Cal aqua does give proper solution. Isnt it called "reference solution" or something like that. I cant remember. What kind of DC did you get from CA was it a double or a regular?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

i got the double. One solution is labeled reference while the other is solution.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well then your all ready to go since Cal Aqua gives you both proper solutions.

Just like I said in my first post, watch for gasping fish or other behavior that is not natural for them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode