Looking for feedback on water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking for feedback on water

Hey, everyone. I'm in the planning stages of my first planted tank. I've got my aquarium on order, my DIY stand is in the bedroom drying, & I'm doing a lot of research. I'm on well water out here, and was wondering if there were any experienced aquarists out there who could comment on my water? It looks like the Ph is a bit on the low side, and the hardness seems high. I used the API master test kit low Ph test and it showed 6.6. I used the Nutrafin test for hardness; GH was 280 mg/l and KH was 110 mg/l. As near as I can figure these results translate to 15.67 GH and 6.15 KH, which both seem on the high side.

Will I be limited by the quality of this water? If so, how can I condition it for better results? Bottled water? Reverse osmosis? Also any other information on conditions that may be present in the water would be appreciated. There are a lot of dairy ranches nearby, so there may be nitrate or phosphate or who knows what else in there (don't worry, I don't drink the stuff!)

I apologize in advance if this has been previously covered. I read about 100 posts and couldn't quite figure out how this water measures up.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Let the water sit longer before trying the pH test - with a dkH above 6, the pH should be higher.

Your water looks fine so far - if the hardness represents both Ca and Mg (sometimes it is only Ca) then you won't need to dose either of those. With the proximity of farms you do want to test nitrate - it might be high and would allow you to dose less with water changes.

You have a well and you don't drink the water? Is there a known problem in the area? Does it have a bad taste or smell?

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

Tags
well water hardness gh kh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode