Chloramines - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chloramines

Just found out my utility switched to surface water this year and are now putting chloramines in the water supply. I wish they had sent me a notice instead of me finding out on accident by testing my test kit on my tap....

Anyway, my API chlorine neutralizer is no longer going to cut it for treating my tap. I've read prime works well. What are yall's preferences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I use Prime and purchase it in the 2L jugs.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
I use Prime and purchase it in the 2L jugs.
Only way to go IMO.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Prime may not work any better than some of the other similar materials, but it takes so little per dose that a bottle lasts a long time. That is why I continue to use Prime. The trend is for all municipal water supplies to be treated with chloramine instead of just chlorine so the effectiveness lasts longer, so it is a good idea to assume your water is or soon will be treated with chloramine.

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Planted Member

yum... makes you think, if you have to go to all that trouble to remove it for your fish, what the heck is it doing to *your* body?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 PM

the alternative to chloramines is, you would just get sick or die from the bacteria in the water. probably would prefer the former as opposed to the latter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post
yum... makes you think, if you have to go to all that trouble to remove it for your fish, what the heck is it doing to *your* body?
Lol, that is one of the reasons that I have a water cooler and purchase remineralize RO water to drink. When I looked at my City Tap Water contents, it wasn't just the chlorimines, but a host of other c*ap and when I googled some of that other stuff, there was evidence that it could be carcinogenic to humans. With some of what was listed, safe limits had not been established, so the City could not say for sure if some of the chemicals added to the tap water were in fact within what would be defined as a safe limit for humans.

On the flip side, I have been using dechlorinated tap water to keep fish and many are still alive after 8 years, so the tap water may not be as bad. Also, there are probably many other things in daily life(ie., exposure to vehicle exhaust smoke, second hand smoke, etc.,) besides what is in the tap water that are more toxic and carinogenic so why worry about it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I got a Coralife RO filter and stopped using dechlorinators of any kind. I keep two kinds of tanks, soft water and hard water. The hard water tanks use the water that goes thru the sediment and charcoal filters (IE red tube or reject water) and the soft water tanks use the water from the RO membrane (IE blue tube water). Tap water contains too many awful things, and varies too quickly, especially if the water crews make a visit to your neighborhood. When I did this, I stopped losing fish from water changes.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Lol, that is one of the reasons that I have a water cooler and purchase remineralize RO water to drink. When I looked at my City Tap Water contents, it wasn't just the chlorimines, but a host of other c*ap and when I googled some of that other stuff, there was evidence that it could be carcinogenic to humans. With some of what was listed, safe limits had not been established, so the City could not say for sure if some of the chemicals added to the tap water were in fact within what would be defined as a safe limit for humans.

On the flip side, I have been using dechlorinated tap water to keep fish and many are still alive after 8 years, so the tap water may not be as bad. Also, there are probably many other things in daily life(ie., exposure to vehicle exhaust smoke, second hand smoke, etc.,) besides what is in the tap water that are more toxic and carinogenic so why worry about it.
But have you tested your remineralized RO the same way the city tested the tap?? I have seen a couple of good literature articles showing that bottled water can be worse than tap. Sure, no chloramine, but lots of other stuff at very similar or worse levels than tap water.

To the OP - another vote for Prime. Lots of bang for the buck!

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode