Thinking of adding a second filter. . . - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thinking of adding a second filter. . .

I am thinking of adding a second filter to my 90 gallon. I haven't had any issues (yet) with water quality, but I suppose I am a bit paranoid. I currently have a marineland Emperor 400 on my tank, and was considering adding in a second, or possibly another powerfilter if anyone has any recommendations. The tank is planted with Contortion Vals, and Wisteria currently (I'll be adding in some java fern when I get more shade built up, and likely some Dwarf Baby's Tears) and currently stocked with 15 various cories, 6 clown loaches, one zombie pleco (BRAINS!), 6 praecox rainbows, 4 boesmani rainbows, and 5 aussie rainbows.

I'm thinking about more filtration because I WANT to add 4 GBRs, and 10-20 more rainbowfish. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
IMO. As long as the plants are not being blown over or up rooted and the fish not stressed from too much flow, you can never have too much filtration.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you want an HOB, I sugest an aquaclear 110.

I'm running 2 in my 55gal tank, crystal clear water, just rinse the sponge once a month and you are good to go, the sponges usually last few years 2~3 before they need to be replaced and they are very cheap ~6$ each, on top of that you can also add (in a mesh bag) any other type of media of your like (purigen, carbon, bio balls, ceramic rings, peat, etc).

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...110powerfilter

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
I had an eheim 2028 in my 72 gal and all seemed fine and dandy. I added a 2026 for handling a CO2 reactor on the outflow and within a day my tank was so crystal clear I could not believe my eyes. Go for it.

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:26 PM

cheap easy and great. I use either an air driven sponge filter or a power head driven one. all my tanks are crystal clear. I simply attach a pond pre-filter to the intake of the power head. Works great!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM

I have a second [internal] filter in every one of my old fish tanks. When I am setting up a new tank which happens fairly frequently this is the dirty bad boy that gets my new tank started for me.
Cycling a new tank with a new filter takes an age. Squeeze out all that dirty, filthy muck from the sponge of your old filter into the sparkling clean water of your new tank, then start the old filter again and you have cut months off your start-up time..!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode