new to forum - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new to forum

just wanted to say hello! and ask a quick question. Is there a complete test kit that has the most common tests used for a planted tank that wont cost over a hundred dollars and where might i buy it?

Last edited by jus1time; 01-27-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: improper question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus1time View Post
just wanted to say hello! and ask a quick question. Is there a complete test kit that has the most common tests used for a planted tank that wont cost over a hundred dollars and where might i buy it?
I can't easily answer that question, but I can ask another question: why do you want to do so much testing? It isn't necessary, it can lead you down the wrong path, unless you calibrate the kits before using them, and it causes unnecessary anxiety.

EDIT: I forgot my manners. Hello, and welcome to TPT!

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
To add...

You will need tests for Ammonia and Nitrites for the initial cycling of the tank.

You will need to have an idea of what the Gh and Kh of your tap water (assuming you are going to use tap water) and tank water is, as some plants need a low Gh and Kh. Once you have an idea, these typically don't change drastically, they will creep up or down slowly over time.

After that, you may decide to test Nitrates and Phospates. Beware that the tests kits can vary and may not be accurate. Because of this, it's best to calibrate them so you know how accurate they are. If you choose to go with the EI method of fertilization, you don't have to test, but you do large water changes each week (50%).

Again though, any test kit (ammonia, nitrite, Gh, Kh, Phosphate, Nitrate) has error in them and are only a rough idea. There is no standard inexpensive test for Potassium.

Welcome to TPT.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks John! I have been in the aquarium hobby for several years now and have several cichlid tanks and this is my first excursion into the planted tank arena.The other one was a low tech low light tank. I just researched the EI method of ferts. So... I ordered the dry ferts and im gonna mix em up myself. Thanks for the 411.
Len

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode