Just wanted to bump this old thread because of some HELL that a bottle of Aquasafe seems to be causing me.
Normally I use Prime. I will use it again when I can get to the LFS.
I was given a bottle of Aquasafe and used it yesterday on a 10g tank, 40% water change using tap water, 1 cap full of Aquasafe (heavily planted, mostly tetras and cory cats). Also did a 1 gallon water top off on my 11g rimless cherry shrimp tank.
Today, I'm having a terrible cloudy water bloom that looks like a bacterial bloom to me.
I'm having all kinds of oxygen depletion, and I suspect that it didn't neutralize the ammonia in the tap's chloramine very well because the tetras were acting erratic all day today, and losing color rapidly, similar to how they would react to a moderate ammonia toxicity.
So far I've lost about a dozen cardinal tetras, a female german blue ram, 4-5 glo lites, several black neons, and 15-20 shrimp, between the two tanks.
I have both tanks stabilized (I hope) with air stones so that I can get some Prime, ASAP, and do some huge water changes.
The ONLY common denominator is the Aquasafe and the water change. It's possible that the tap water has something that's fueling the bacterial bloom but I've never seen tap water do that, overnight.
The Aquasafe was given to me by a friend who didn't need it, and the bottle looks to be in good shape but obviously not "new". I think it's older than I thought, not neutralizing chloramine well, and fueling some sort of bacterial bloom that's cost me a lot of heartache today.