bacteria bloom? or something worse? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
bacteria bloom? or something worse?

i started my tank yesterday. i washed the flourite real well. ran the tank for a few hours and everything was clear. then i added tetra aquasafe conditioner and turned off the filter for a few minutes, then i started the filter back up. a few minutes later the water turned a milky white cloud. been filtering it with charcoal and it hasnt cleared yet.

could it be a bacteria bloom or the aquasafe?

dont know ph or anything but it has had the light on less than 10 hours and it has been at about 78f.

thanks

20 gallon marineland kit

mason jar with flourite Java ferns and java moss and a ramshorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

let me say this in the past i have set up tanks with start right crystals. let it sit for a few days and put in fish. never had one die in the first month and have never seen this cloud before. this is my first planted tank.

have no way of testing for anything.

put some aquasafe in a cup of water and no cloudiness yet

20 gallon marineland kit

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
White water is usually a bacterial bloom, but yours was too fast. That would tend to implicate the Aqua Safe. I don't have a bottle to look at, but the usual additive to "aid the slime coat" on fish is Aloe. The usual problem with Aloe is a surface film or protein bubbles not white water. But - the protein film is whitish. Did you over dose? Is there a possibility that the Aqua Safe has been sitting around for a long time or gotten contaminated? Or evaporation concentrated?

Any way, the cure will be a massive water change. Possibly a couple over a couple of days. For fish, I liked the results (or lack of problems) using API Stress Coat, but I'm switching to Seachem Prime as the shrimp crowd here highly promotes it. A bottle of Prime lasts a long time. One cap full (5ml) for 50 gallons instead of 10.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

did a 90% change with straight well water. not as cloudy.

i put some of the flourite from the tank in the cup of water anbd its clear. i know the cup is overdosed.

20 gallon marineland kit

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the tank has no fish or plants but i did put in a couple of what we call rip rap (rocks that the dot uses in ditches) that had been in an algae covered tank. they had been outside in the cold for over a month. i washed with hot water but not boiling.

20 gallon marineland kit

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

put in the aquasafe and water that was in the cup into the tank about 20 minutes ago. so far as clear as it was before.

i have no clue whats been going on.

20 gallon marineland kit

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Flourite is probably the cause. I literally rinsed my flourite for three hours and still had cloudy water for the first few days.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just wanted to bump this old thread because of some HELL that a bottle of Aquasafe seems to be causing me.

Normally I use Prime. I will use it again when I can get to the LFS.

I was given a bottle of Aquasafe and used it yesterday on a 10g tank, 40% water change using tap water, 1 cap full of Aquasafe (heavily planted, mostly tetras and cory cats). Also did a 1 gallon water top off on my 11g rimless cherry shrimp tank.

Today, I'm having a terrible cloudy water bloom that looks like a bacterial bloom to me.

I'm having all kinds of oxygen depletion, and I suspect that it didn't neutralize the ammonia in the tap's chloramine very well because the tetras were acting erratic all day today, and losing color rapidly, similar to how they would react to a moderate ammonia toxicity.

So far I've lost about a dozen cardinal tetras, a female german blue ram, 4-5 glo lites, several black neons, and 15-20 shrimp, between the two tanks.

I have both tanks stabilized (I hope) with air stones so that I can get some Prime, ASAP, and do some huge water changes.

The ONLY common denominator is the Aquasafe and the water change. It's possible that the tap water has something that's fueling the bacterial bloom but I've never seen tap water do that, overnight.

The Aquasafe was given to me by a friend who didn't need it, and the bottle looks to be in good shape but obviously not "new". I think it's older than I thought, not neutralizing chloramine well, and fueling some sort of bacterial bloom that's cost me a lot of heartache today.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode