growth in diy fertilizer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
growth in diy fertilizer

I wasn't sure if I should post this under Water Parameters or DIY...

Hello,
There is some stuff growing in my DIY fertilizer I mixed 1/4 Cup of PPMD Pre-Mix from aquariumfertilizer.com with 500 ml of water. About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed there is some type of growth in the bottle that I mixed it in. It looks almost like a moss, greenish-brown. Not sure. However, I wanted to know:

1) Is this normal for a liquid fert?
2) What is it?
3) Is it harmful to the tank/fish in any way? (i.e. will it start growing in the tank)
4) i'm guessing if the answer to 3 is yes, I should throw this out and start again.
5) What can I do to prevent this stuff from growing...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Solutions with CSM+B in them have been known to grow mold and/or fungus. You could refrigerate it, or perhaps add something to inhibit growth. I recall a few drops of hydrochloric acid as being recommended. Try to have your preparation as aseptic as possible, but once you have growth I recommend against continuing to use it.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Some people have used anti-fungal meds.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Grow little guys... grow.

Like many people, I also prepare the CSM+B as a dilute solution and bottle it in one of those brown glass lab bottles (32 oz). I keep it stored at room temp. I also obtained hydrochloric acid (37%) from a chem-lab supply company. I added a teaspoon of hydrochloric acid to the CSM+B dilute mixture.... not knowing if it was enough or too much.

It seemed to keep well for a while, but I went to go use it the other day, I saw the fungal growths. It's been on the shelf for a couple of months, unopened (since I was finishing off a bottle of Flourish).

Exactly how much HCL acid do you think can be added? A few drops, nor a teaspoon's worth, didn't seem to prevent fungal growth.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Jeremy Squires, Toronto, ON
One should never have to decide between chocolate, cake, or cookies.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Personally I mix only the trace element, everything else is dosed dry.

I only mix what I can use up in two to three weeks, no more than a
month.

Mix it half strength and dose double so it can be used up more quickly.

Craig

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 PM

My KNO3 solution never gets growth, nor does my KH2PO4 solution (wikipedia says: KH2PO4=fungicide). Also I've never noticed smells from these two (like some have reported). I only dose 7ml solution every other day, so a 32oz bottle of each lasts a LONG time (33 weeks). :-)

The CSM+B, I didn't prepare with distilled water, I just used my RO water which I brought to a boil before dissolving the CSM+B. Factor? Hmmm.

I guess there's no reason I couldn't keep it refrigerated. Was just curious about the HCL.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM

Ok, so I made a new batch of CSM+B solution (7.7g/500ml) and added 2 ml of HCL. Then I refrigerated it. When I went to use it today, there was some type of crystalline precipitate accumulated at the bottom.... kind of looks like a mound of small snow flakes.

What is this? Does temperature affect the amount that can be dissolved in the solution? Does this change the concentration of the solution much?

Thanks for your ideas/answers.

Cheers!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:48 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
From: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...tassium-3.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Add 1 ml of 9 molar HCL to CMS to prevent fungi, some add Absorbic acid, citric acid will work as well(add about 5mls or these).

Muritic acid(sold in pool supply as acid shock), I think is about 20-25% HCL, so 1 ml of that is close and should do the trick, note, you do not need much and it is cheap.

Regards,
Tom Barr

From: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...s-my-pmdd.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Hi Relaxing

This may be what you are looking for:

How to store PMDD
I'd be sure to keep PMDD chemicals away from the kids ! Some are nasty.

Unmixed PMDD constituents are stable enough. The chelated trace mix should be kept dark, dry and not unduly hot.

Some have noticed mixed PMDD will degrade over time and even develop mold. Things that will help:

Put your PMDD in a dark brown or opaque bottle (I use well rinsed glass cough syrup bottles). Light can destabilize chelates.
I refrigerate my main stock (mark it well so someone doesn't take a swig) and leave a small 25ml bottle by the aquarium for convenience.
Since dry ingredients are more stable, only mix up a few month's worth of PMDD at a time.
Kevin Conlin adds a little HCL to the brew; (about 0.8ml 9M HCl/500ml). Never tried it myself.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

Left C

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode