NO2 - .5 NO3 - Over 200?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
NO2 - .5 NO3 - Over 200??

I just bought some new cories for my tank. I was testing my water in my quarantine tanks before I placed them in there and the water quality of the water the fish were in to determine if I needed to adjust the time I acclimated them.

Here are my parameters I tested for the quarantine tanks (both setup at the same time):

0 Ammonia
0 NitrIte
20 NitrAte

Here are my parameters I tested for the LFS:

0 Ammonia
0.5 NitrIte
200+ NitrAte (it was darker than limit on the test I have)

I was kind of peeved, because the guy at the store is always bragging on how much cleaning their aquariums are than another local store (which that store I have consistently tested water at 0, 0, & 80).

Anyway, here's my question. Is this going to cause issues for my cories on the switch over to a tank with much less NitrAtes? I moved them a little over a half hour ago, and they are darting around the tank and breathing hard. I am wondering if I should do anything to help their transition other than turning the lights off in the tank and staying away for a while.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
It may have been a bit of shock for them to be in cleaner water, but they should be otherwise fine after a bit.

Does that store also require water testing if you have a loss? I've always found that to be really insulting, how dare they criticize my water when their water is poor?! I just fill a test tube with tap water, they would just completely spaz out about pH otherwise.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Drip acclimate them. The more slowly, the better.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Do the cories nave proper barbels are are they eroded looking? High Nitrates usually mean barbel damage.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
It may have been a bit of shock for them to be in cleaner water, but they should be otherwise fine after a bit.

Does that store also require water testing if you have a loss? I've always found that to be really insulting, how dare they criticize my water when their water is poor?! I just fill a test tube with tap water, they would just completely spaz out about pH otherwise.
The younger fish are seeming to be adjusting now. The oldest female is having the hardest time. She is not moving much and her gills are going a mile a minute. Poor thing, I hope she makes it. Actually, she kind of looks like this.

Yes, they make you bring in water if you have a loss and will only give 1/2 credit. Never thought about using tap water. Totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Drip acclimate them. The more slowly, the better.
Actually, I learned this from you recently, and did this. So thanks! They were acclimated for over 2 hours. Was this long enough? I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
Do the cories nave proper barbels are are they eroded looking? High Nitrates usually mean barbel damage.
They do have short barbels. I didn't look closely until a few minutes ago. Will they grow back?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How close do you live to "Chemical Valley"? Have you had your water checked?

Victor PIMP #20 - SR253B-320
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Ha, I didn't know non-locals knew about "Chemical Valley"!! We are north by about an hour. The water is not in great condition here, but not too bad. Down in the Nitro area, I wouldn't give our dogs a drink of water.

The oldest cory is still not looking well. I have them in quarantine, but I was really hoping to see them recover. Also, the younger ones are extremely skiddish. Not sure if it is the move to cleaner water or if its the stress in moving. Maybe both?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode