Peat filtered water and purigen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
Peat filtered water and purigen

I want to get some acidic water without AS or RO/DI, but i want to be able to see my fish too. if i peat filter some water, and then use purigen to remove the tannins (or what ever the yellow is) the water will still retain the acidic properties, right?

peat filtered water
http://www.marksfish.me.uk/index.php...Filtering.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I believe so. Fluval sells peat granules and they dont stain the water too bad and they work very well.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

do you think that method is feasible for a 75 gallon tank? i'd love to keep some discus or a large school of tetras, but my pH is just too high, and my dad says that buying an RO/DI system or 45 L of AS is something he'd rather not do.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Personally, I would simply add peat or a peat material like Fluval Peat Granules to the filter canister. The method you linked to seems like a lot of work to me. I would quickly tired of having to go through all that every time I had to do water changes, etc.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

can those granules lower my pH from 7.6 to ~6.0?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
do you think that method is feasible for a 75 gallon tank? i'd love to keep some discus or a large school of tetras, but my pH is just too high, and my dad says that buying an RO/DI system or 45 L of AS is something he'd rather not do.
If you and your dad are serious about keeping fish that strive in an acidic enviroment check this out for a cheaper alternitave to RO/DI

http://article.discusnews.com/cat-01/peat-bomb.shtml I have heard about people that people that Riase wild caught discus using a peat bomb in place of RO/DI with amazing results.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
I am building one because I havent found where I can buy one in the united states.
When its finished and I test it I will post the diy part of it if your interested.

This should make it easy for someone to change water parameters in a large tank but I wont know exactly how easy until I done and test it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
There is a BIG difference between just "keeping Discus (tetras, etc.,)" and successful breeding. I would imagine that since you mention keeping Discus and tetras that you are not attempting to breed or raise Discus. (Otherwise you would certainly not place these two together! And smaller tanks work better than a 75g for breeding, anyway.)

First, Discus do much better w/ large water changes. Big eaters create big bio-loads, hence many H2O changes. If you're going to a lot of trouble to bring down the pH in the water you will have much trouble every time you need to do a water change. (Just as fshfanatic mentions.)

Second, many, many farm breed tetras will do just perfectly in moderately alkaline waters with a pH of 7.6.

With higher KH it is very hard to significantly lower your pH using peat, or anything else really. It's not just the pH, but more importantly the KH and GH which buffers the water and resists changes.

Third, you may actually be able to keep some of the more tank-breed Discus in harder water, also. Personally, though, why bother!!???? Unless you really, REALLY, love Discus. Then, spend the money to invest in some proper equipment.

If you just want some larger, graceful cichlids, Angelfish have been tank raised for so many years that they'll do just wonderful in medium hard water.

Trust Me! I tried for over a year to get some Apistogrammas happy in harder water. I sent a few too many to an early . . . .well, killed some. Then caved, and now own a proper RO unit. (Unfortunately, I could not give up the LUST to have some of the softer water Apistogrammas. A. baenschi in particular! )
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
have you thought of using a small peat layer under the gravel? that might make a difference

also i second the fluval peat granules. they work well and dont taint the water too much.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

kh is 9 and gh is 0.

i wont be getting discus for a while, probably not til summer. i want to make sure this thing is stable and im set with the responsibility of doing large water changes alot and keeping the water buffered. im sure i can make enough money by then for an RO/DI system.

i dont think i'll be doing gravel, instead some sand so i can make it look like a natural amazon river bed.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used peat granules in the Fluval 404 filter for my 125 gal tank when we lived in WA. The water there was not too bad ph 7.6-7.8 KH 8. I wanted it lower in order to breed angels. The water did turn yellowish a little bit (take a look at my journal pics), the plants and the fish seemed to thrive with the peat filtration; however, ph got lower just a tiny bit over a week and I could not keep it at that level because I was doing the 30-40% water changes once a week. When I tried to keep it at 7.0-7.5 with less water changes, I got algae. Plus I was also running CO2 so I am not quite sure if ph drop was solely due to the peat filtration, CO2 could have also contributed to it.

So the simple answer to your question is no, you can't substitute RO filter by using peat, you won't be able to lower ph from 7.5 to 6 with weekly water changes. But peat does help the fish.

Others have already made a good point that you don't need ph 6.0 to keep discus and tetras, you only need it this low if you want to breed them.

Last edited by dinker; 01-11-2009 at 12:34 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Anti iwagumi

i want them to be comfortable because i know they come from blackwater rivers, so why not make it a little bit like home

i guess i can get away with 7.0pH water. it turns out im getting colorquartz for the susbtrate so i'll add some peat under that.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
One of the problems with using peat to lower pH & water hardness: it does not happen instantaneously. If kept in the filter, then when you do a large waterchange w/ tap that is harder your ph/KH/GH will bounce back up, then slowly lower. This will subjects those fish to yo-yoing water parameters. Again, I just don't recommend it.

Those experienced hobbiest who may be using peat to breed some of the more wild, sensitive blackwater species will pretreat their water in a barrel, prior to doing the waterchanges in the tank w/ the fish. It's one thing to create peat water for small dwarfs and killiefish kept in 5g, 10g and 15g tanks. It's a whole different feat for a 75g tank.

Quite a bit similar to those persons who want to use DIY CO2 on large tanks and avoid the initial costs of a pressurized system. Can it be done? Perhaps. BUT with tons of work, and tons of challenges!

Your measurement for KH and GH seem a little off; KH is usually a part of the GH. Are you quite sure? Ie., test kits not expired and used properly? Do you have a home watersoftening system?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode