DIY CO2 mixture - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 mixture

I've just started to experiment with some DIY CO2 on my 38 gallon planted tank. When I made up the mixture the recipe I was looking at called for 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water to go into a 2 liter bottle and 1/4 tsp of yeast to be mixed separately in a small amount of warm water. I let the yeast sit for about 5 minutes before adding it into the 2 liter. After about a day now I don't have any bubbles coming out. I read a lot of posts around the forum here and it seems like most people use more water in their mixture and was wondering if maybe the higher concentration of sugar in my solution could have slowed or maybe even killed the yeast. I filled the 2 liter 2 about 2/3 full of water now but I'm wondering if this will even do any good or if I should dump it all and start over. I do realize that my problem could simply be a leak of some sort, I drilled the holes in my cap smaller than the air hose and pulled it through with pliers, but I wanted to see if something was wrong with my mixture first.

Thanks,
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I started my first DIY CO2 last night using this recipe and it is going like gang busters. It never says how much yeast to start with so I started with 1/4 teaspoon.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...eriment-3.html
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
I used diy for a while before going to pressurized.
My mix was 2 cups sugar 1/4 tsp yeast fill bottle to where it starts to get smaller.
The trick is to activate the yeast first.
Put it in a shot glass with some warm water then add a little bit of sugar.Stir it like crazy and wait 10 minutes. If it has not doubled in size your yeast may be bad.
to check it for leaks just put some soapy water around all seams and see if it bubbles.
Diy is a cheap alternative but it has it's set backs as well.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think where I slipped up is that I didn't activate it properly first. I set it in warm water for a while but it didn't look like anything happened before I added it to the mix. I'll try and redo my mixture tomorrow and wait until the yeast does something first.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dumped my bottle as it was doing nothing and tried the whole thing over again using the same yeast. I left the yeast in a cup of warm water with a little bit of sugar for probably 15 minutes and nothing happened. I decided to throw everything into the 2 liter and set it up under the tank anyways and still got no results. I'm pretty sure there is no leak anywhere because I accidentally squeezed the bottle and it started to siphon out water from my tank. Do I just have bad yeast or am I doing something wrong? I'm using Fleischman's dry active yeast.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
you answered your own question, you have bad yeast. Everything you did is fine and should of worked. Buy some fresh yeast and you will be fine.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
If your yeast hasn't "foamed" within fifteen minutes of starting the proof, you can definitely consider it to be bad.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Note that "warm" in this case actually means 100 to 110 degrees. It should actually feel hot. If you use water that feels what most people typically think of as warm, the yeast probably will not activate.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thumbs up

Indeed. Whenever I use yeast I grab my trusty instant read thermometer.

While one doesn't use this much yeast for DIY CO2, here are the proofing instructions from Red Star:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Star Yeast
Using a one-cup sized liquid measuring cup, measure 1/2 cup warm (100 to 115) water. Add 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, stir to dissolve. Sprinkle 2 1/4 teaspoons, or 1 packet yeast, slowly over the surface. Stir the mixture; set a timer for 10 minutes; let rest. In 3 to 4 minutes, the yeast will have absorbed enough liquid to activate and will start rising to the surface. At the end of 10 minutes, active yeast will multiply and create a rounded crown of foam to the 1-cup mark.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

even if my water wasn't quite 100 degrees wouldn't it have done something within the 15 minutes that I let it sit?

is this brand of yeast known to have problems? I've had this package for a while but the expiration date on it is sometime in 2010.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

As long as it was close to the right temperature something should have happened.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Perhaps I'll stop by the big liquor store in town and pick up some brewer's yeast tomorrow and give that a try then.

Thanks for the help
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Bread yeast works fine for me. I have used different brands no problems. No need to ever check the temperature of the hot water, bread yeast can survive in near boiling temperatures. Just heat the water in the microwave, until it is hot. If it is boiling pour it into another cup to cool it a few degrees then add the yeast.
Any amount of yeast will work, more yeast will make it fizz faster, while less will take longer but still work.
Check your seals in the bottle to the tubing perhaps you have a leak. Good mixtures should not foam, but make small soda like bubbles. Which may be why you did not notice.
You should start to see bubbles in your tank after 24 hours, swirl the bottle to make the yeast more active.
Even "bad yeast" will have some living, so just double the dosage and use it anyway.
I fill the water up to 9cm (3.5") to the top of the bottle to prevent the yeast from flowing into the tank. Keep the bottle above the tank or at the same level if you do not have a check valve.
Also make sure the sugar is rinsed from the sides of the bottle near the opening, to keep the yeast from climbing the sides.
I believe bread yeast also last longer than brewers yeast, and it's defiantly cheaper
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 PM

My mixture

I use mixture 2 hubcaps of fertilizers for plants, - 10 soupspoons of sugar, fifth part of tea-spoon of dry yeasts - all on 2 litres. Does not add a soda. Gurgles long, in the beginning very decently, then worse.

imrandy85, I think that a problem is in the loss of СО2.

PS I am sorry for bad English
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

I have used this formula for some time with good results, 1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast put into a 2 l. bottle 1/2 full with warm water (right out of the tap) shake it up and fill the bottle to where it starts to narrow. I then put a balloon over the top and when I starts to blow up I know it working.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode