When do your plants start pearling? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
When do your plants start pearling?

My plants start pearling only after 5-6 hours of light and CO2. I use DIY bottle and RedSea diffuser.

Water parameters: ph 6.0, Gh 4 drops (or 71.6ppm) measured by API tests, Kh 2 (35.8 ppm), Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0.

Light 10000K/6500K 120w over 28 gallon tank.

I use these fertilizers: Excel, Kent Freshwater Plant 0-0-3, and Kent Botanica Fe.

The only thing I would like to improve is glosso, it seems that the sterms are a little thin.

Do you get your tanks start pearling right away with pressurized CO2?

Last edited by dinker; 01-09-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
My plants start lightly pearling within about 15 to 30 minutes of the second bank of lights coming on, so about 45 to 60 minutes after the first lights come on. While keeping all other variables equal, I can change when pearling begins by increasing or decreasing CO2.

120 watts over 28 gallons is quite a lot of light to not be dosing macros or using pressurized CO2.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
For me, it seems to be all about the CO2. Pearling is not nearly as good when CO2 is low compared to optimal. Of course light plays a big role too. I get pearling a hour or two after lights come on...give or take.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
My plants start pearling in about one to two hours after the co2 kicks in, which is a few minutes after the light turns on.

The plants might be pearling, or it could just be co2 bubbles building up on my plants; i think they are pearling though.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
My pearling experence is about the same as imeridian's.

You shoud feel lucky you get any pearling with DIY co2 and no ferts. It must be all that light.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Mine will "photosynthesize" within a couple of hours, given the fact that all the
variables are in place.

Craig

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
You shoud feel lucky you get any pearling with DIY co2 and no ferts. It must be all that light.

Do you think the ferts I am already using are not good?

To everyone whose plants pearl within the next two hours of lights going on, are you using pressurized CO2?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I was using diy co2, but I didn't get pearling until I started using two 2 liters and a powerhead to diffuse the co2 better. It would be more concentrated after a few hours of light though.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I was using diy co2, but I didn't get pearling until I started using two 2 liters and a powerhead to diffuse the co2 better. It would be more concentrated after a few hours of light though.
I am using RedSea powerhead diffuser. This one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=15524

What do you mean by using a 2 liter?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinker View Post
Do you think the ferts I am already using are not good?
It appears as though you are not dosing the macronutrients N and P.

Yes, pressurized CO2 here.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
It appears as though you are not dosing the macronutrients N and P.

Yes, pressurized CO2 here.
OK, could you help out a newbie here, I don't know what N and P are.

Forgot to mention, I add Equilibrium because I use RO water.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nitrogen and phosphorus, as in NPK as found on fertilizers: the 0-0-3 in Freshwater Plant. The two zeros are where N & P would be, the 3 is K as in potassium.

Typically, in high light aquariums, we dose N via KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and P via KH2PO4 (monopotassium phosphate). When we drive plants to rapidly photosynthesize (and thus pearl) we also need to supply the plants with abundant nutrients, 'putting all variables in place.'

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
Nitrogen and phosphorus, as in NPK as found on fertilizers: the 0-0-3 in Freshwater Plant. The two zeros are where N & P would be, the 3 is K as in potassium.

Typically, in high light aquariums, we dose N via KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and P via KH2PO4 (monopotassium phosphate). When we drive plants to rapidly photosynthesize (and thus pearl) we also need to supply the plants with abundant nutrients, 'putting all variables in place.'

Thank you for explaining both. That 0-0-3 formula always was a mystery to me.

I'll read up on that somewhere on your website. You have a lot of good info here but it's above my head to understand all these chemistry letters.

I think I'll just buy one of everything from this guy http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/Do...369wzntek7c317

That should do the trick.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's much more simple than it would initially appear.

That list is telling you how much, with kitchen measuring spoons, you need to dose of each powdered fertilizer. Those fertilizers can be purchased from vendors such as aquariumfertilizers.com. The trace is your Freshwater Plant.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

imeridian, I really appreciate the simple explanation of something I was always afraid to get into. I never learned the proper names of the plants or figured out the whole trace/fert thing. Just had the plants growing and dumping most of the Seachem products for the planted tank into my huge 125 gal pool. It worked and didn't work at times, but that was the fun of it.

I'll do it the right way this time, since the tank is only 28 gal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode