Soap-like bubbles in tank?? Help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Soap-like bubbles in tank?? Help.

I have a 1.5 gallon desk tank with an anubia, some java moss, and some snails. Until yesterday, I had a sparkling gourami. He suddenly started listing around on the bottom. I did a major water change and he perked up slightly for a short time and then died. I took him out and now it's just the snails for livestock. This morning, I come in and my tank is filled with bubbles and bubbles are just rolling out of the filter. ??? It's a low-tech tank. I used Aqua Safe in the water yesterday - which I don't normally use on my tanks at home, but doubt it would cause this. I was planning on restocking the tank with shrimp, but now I'm concerned about the water quality. Is this a sign of anything?? How worried should I be? I don't have any test kits or anything here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	11202  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It sure does look like soap bubbles to me.... do a major water change, and do it quickly!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
did you wash your hands before cleaning the tank? there may have been some soap left on your hands or something.

Also, if you have used any medicine in this tank for the gourami, the filter does that sometimes. I have a few sick fish that i'm treating in a 10g and after i put in the meds for them, my filter bubbles a little bit for a few hours. (not quite to that extent, but it looks kind of like that.)

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
My opinion of course.
I suspect the foam is protein and aloe. Do a water change using only a declorinetor and skip the Aqua Safe. Pull the water from the top as best you can to remove the surface layer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Don't gourami's make bubble nests?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Tanks A'lot

PTrader: (23/100%)
once (many a year ago) i left my fish net next to the kitchen sink for about 30 minutes. i dipped it in the tank again and the next morning everything was dead and i had major soap bubbles. be careful where you leave your tools. its not just the hands that can carry soap.

***110g Prehistoric Theme Polypterus Planted Tank ***

***84g Fluval Osaka 320***

Fluval Pimp**Uno Cinco** (15)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Don't gourami's make bubble nests?
Yeah, but they look NOTHING like that!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My opinion of course.
I suspect the foam is protein and aloe. Do a water change using only a declorinetor and skip the Aqua Safe. Pull the water from the top as best you can to remove the surface layer.
I'm thinking that this is most likely answer at this point. I don't have anything other Aqua Safe here, but I've done an almost complete water change (using Aqua Safe again) and the bubbles have returned. I've got Prime at home for my other tanks, I guess I will have to bring it in. It's such a small tank though, it's really hard to measure out the appropriate amount of water treatment. Could I just use bottled water to top it off? That wouldn't need de-chlorinated, right? I pretty much just replace the evaporation water on this tank, so it's not like I'm using a lot of water.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i once had lots of bubbles in my tank after a quick look i realised that they were coming from my air stone.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Skip the Aqua Safe and Stess Coat type products - for this tank. Even Prime will create problems for you as the dosage is 1 ml for 10 gallons. That works out to what? about a third of a drop for a water change on a 1.5 gallon tank.

For the size of that tank I'd use bottled RO water to top it off as needed. You won't alter the mineral content of the water. Standard bottled water from your local comes from tap water in most cases and may contain traces of chlorine.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda99 View Post
I'm thinking that this is most likely answer at this point. I don't have anything other Aqua Safe here, but I've done an almost complete water change (using Aqua Safe again) and the bubbles have returned. I've got Prime at home for my other tanks, I guess I will have to bring it in. It's such a small tank though, it's really hard to measure out the appropriate amount of water treatment. Could I just use bottled water to top it off? That wouldn't need de-chlorinated, right? I pretty much just replace the evaporation water on this tank, so it's not like I'm using a lot of water.
Is this the tetra filter that hooks up to an air pump? I use Aqua Safe a lot with this filter and I always get these bubbles a lot afterward. It goes away, or you can push the filter in the water a little further to decrease the bubbles, but occasionally, you will see a bigger bubble surface. I also see this with stress coat, so I am also suspecting aloe. I have been doing this over six months and my betta at work is happy.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda99 View Post
It's such a small tank though, it's really hard to measure out the appropriate amount of water treatment.
The 50ml bottle of Prime has a drop-size opening under the flip-cap, it's ideal for situations such as this; the instructions indicate two drops per gallon.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just a thought for measuring out small amounts
I bought a couple of syringes from a pharmacist. Not the ones with the needle on the end, but the ones used for measuring childrens medicine. Over here they come in 5ml and 1ml sizes. The 1ml ones have measurements of 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc and even have marks between them to indicate 0.01 mls. Works for me

Please excuse my spelling and lack of paragraphs - its my phone's fault!
80gal low light planted tiger barb/columbian tetra/BN plec tank
29gal just changing to heavily planted low tech, lots of bogwood causing "natural" terraces, pebbles, sand, pair of GBRs, ember tetras and otocinclus. Eek! Can't wait til its finished!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Is this the tetra filter that hooks up to an air pump? I use Aqua Safe a lot with this filter and I always get these bubbles a lot afterward. It goes away, or you can push the filter in the water a little further to decrease the bubbles, but occasionally, you will see a bigger bubble surface. I also see this with stress coat, so I am also suspecting aloe. I have been doing this over six months and my betta at work is happy.
That's what it was, yes. I just pulled out that filter today though and put my old sponge filter back in - along with a few red cherry shrimp. It's still all bubbly, but I'm less concerned about it being deadly or something now. Once I have a chance this weekend, I'll try to get to the fish store and buy a small bottle of Prime. I only have one big bottle at home, so I don't really want to bring that in.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
You could use the big bottle, but dose the Prime with an oral syringe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode