Lowering GH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
Lowering GH

I have some pretty hard water in my tank, its the 350ppm range and I would like to lower that. My KH is good, 70ppm range so I dont want to mess with that. I have some peat, but I think that lowers KH too, right? So what are my options to lower the GH, do those Water Softener Pillows work?

EHEIM PIMP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CASCADE PIMP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Do you have a water softener?

RO unit?

And why exactly do you want to lower your gH?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

I have neither, but isnt 350ppm very hard water? Should I not be concerned with it?

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I wouldnt unless your goals are to breed soft-water fish like Otos, Apistos, wild bettas, or keep super-sensitive plants such as Erios, Toninas, etc.

Otherwise, consistency really is more important, and that's easier to maintain by sticking with your tap water parameters rather than trying to figure how much of this/ how much of that each time you do a water change.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I agree with lauralee. 350ppm is within a healthy range for most plants. Good that your KH isn't as high, as this will make CO2 more bio-available to your plants. I think your tap parameters look just fine.

edit: to answer your question: The only practical way to lower water TDS (KH GH etc.) is to dilute tapwater using RO water.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

Thanks for the input, the manual for the test kit said anything over 200 ppm was very hard and kinda implied something should be done about it. Im not really looking to go down the RO road, I did that for a reef tank a few years back. If 350 ppm is acceptable then Im fine with it, neither my plants nor my fish seem to mind it.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
My water Gh is 290-300ppm. What you have should work fine....

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (42/100%)
I have to conquer here. My water is massively hard too. My test kit only goes up to 200 ppm GH, and the test shows that, so I just assume it's hard.

My best advice is don't tinker with it. If you want to start using RO water, you're really adding on a lot more work for yourself. You need someplace to store the RO water, then you have to do your waterchange, add in RO water or mix it with tap water, but you have to make sure you're close to your target value etc.

I keep angels in this water with no trouble, my friend keeps discus, and I've even talked to 2-3 people locally here that said they have very successful CRS colonies in the water. So unless you have your heart on high-grade CRS, or breeding Discus, or some sort of application which really needs soft water, I wouldn't go through the trouble.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode