Trying to achieve certain water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Trying to achieve certain water parameters

I could use some help with a new tank I'm wanting to setup. Right now I'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure this out. I've read a million things on the net and I'm confused. I'm hoping someone here can help.

So here goes. I'm want to have a ph of 8 to 8.2 and a gh of 6 or 7 with a kh of 5 or 6. My tap water is ph 7.1, hardness 76 and alkalinity 65, which i think means gh around 4 and kh around 3.

I don't want to use RO, I'd rather use tap.

My questions are..... Should I get a substrate like Eco-Complete Cichlid mix and it'll handle this for me, or do I need to also use something like Seachem lake Victoria buffer and Equilibrium to achieve those parameters... or something with baking soda?

I want something that will be stable and not fluctuate and mess with the inhabitants of the tank.
The tank will be planted, with hard water tolerable plants.

Oh and this will not be a big tank. It's either going to be a 10, 15, or 20l tank.

thanks in advance for any help.

Brad

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Think about doing water changes. Do you want to have to carefully dose any change water to match your preferred parameters before adding it? Or, do you want the parameters to gradually change the longer the water is in the tank? Or, perhaps, you might prefer to adjust your desires a bit to better match your tap water, with perhaps a bit of GH booster in it?

I think stable water conditions are a good thing. So, my preference would be to use tap water, with just enough GH booster to raise the GH by a degree or two. That should be the easiest on the fish, the plants and on you.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Is this for a cichlid tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't mind having to add things with water changes. I'm going to have it heavily planted, low light, non CO2, and light bio-load, so water changes will not be a weekly thing. More like monthly or so. I just don't want the parameters to swing in between.... that is why I was under the impression that using caribsea cichlid substrate or seachem grey coast substrate would help out. I guess I'm possibly looking at things in the wrong way?

On my current low light non co2 tank, I dose equilibrium, and N,P,K per tom barr's suggestions from his sight and water changes are far and few and everything is stable. However, I'm not keeping anything that needs hard water like the other tank I want to setup.

With the new tank I was wanting to achieve something like that, mostly moss, java fern, moss balls, and stuff that does well with low light and not much ferts. But the tank inhabitants will require the harder water.... that is why I was looking to get those parameters.

I read something about those substrates mentioned keeping the ph, kh and gh up, so that is why I thought that might be the best solution, but then I started thinking about what happens when I do the water change and add the tap back in... Does that make the parameters swing, until the substrate buffers them back?..... and how does that impact the fauna of the tank?

-----
Brad

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Is this for a cichlid tank?
No. Sulawesi snails and "true" freshwater bumblebee gobies.

-----
Brad

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Dolomite works nice and looks good, make a pile of driftwood for the ferns and moss, and white sand foreground, some Vals or Pondweeds etc, and a few floaters like water sprite to nab any extra nutrients as they will not be CO2 limited.

Baking soda for higher KH and GH booster for GH. Do not worry about pH, stick with the actual ions(KH and GH). I do not think the moss will do so hot, the ferns and others should do okay. Crypts also should do fine and maybe a sword or two.

Regards
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Dolomite works nice and looks good, make a pile of driftwood for the ferns and moss, and white sand foreground, some Vals or Pondweeds etc, and a few floaters like water sprite to nab any extra nutrients as they will not be CO2 limited.

Baking soda for higher KH and GH booster for GH. Do not worry about pH, stick with the actual ions(KH and GH). I do not think the moss will do so hot, the ferns and others should do okay. Crypts also should do fine and maybe a sword or two.

Regards
Tom Barr
Thanks Tom. Would Seachem Equilibrium be ok for a gh booster? Also, once I got the tank established, and added the kh and gh booster with the dolemite substrate would this deplete on it's on in between water changes, or only what I take out during water changes?

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode