what ferts do i need - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
what ferts do i need

i know this gets asked a lot and tried to search to figure this out but i'm still lost. i've been told that i need to add nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium along with the flourish(comprehensive) and excel i've already been dosing.

so i figured that i would order the dry ferts from AquariumFertilizer.com

what do i order?(exactly)

-29g
-48w t5ho
-diy co2
-ph 7.6
-took out the carbon from filter
-eco complete
-flourish tabs
-mainly crypts, rotalas, and e. tenellus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
For most of us,
KN03
KH2P04
CSM+B
GH Booster

Now if your water is not somewhat normal, you might need something else.
But to start out what I mentioned above should get you off to a good start. That is all I add to my tanks except I add just a little bit extra Iron but it isn't necessary.
Oh I would also recommend Excel.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Well, let's complicate this.....

KH2P04-1lb--this is the easy one: get 1 pound and it will last you a lifetime.

You don't mention any fish or other livestock, so I'm going to assume that this is a plant only tank.

First it depends on whether you want to get as little as you need or get well-stocked. I like to stay well stocked, but not everyone feels that way.

KN03-1lb

K2SO4-1lb--I like to add a lot of extra K, but many people don't. Your call: for $3 I would get it just to have it on hand.

What kind of water do you have? Soft? Hard?

Barrs GH Booster-1lb--If you have very soft water You may want to pick up a pound of this just in case you need it. There's a debate on whether added Ca/Mg is needed in even RODI water....I found that small amounts helped.

Magnesium Sulfate-1lb--If You have hard water it may have a Ca/Mg imbalance and adding extra Mg may help. That's my situation as well as many others. Can also be purchased as epsom salt.

CSMB and 10% Fe are your call--if you are going to continue with the flourish (I do) then there is really no need to get either one.

If you want to get well stocked then double up on everything, execpt the KH2P04. Honestly, I don't think you need to double up. You don't have that much light over that tank, so 1 round of ferts should last you quite a while.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
i guess i forgot about the bioload being a factor.. . it's going to be fully loaded w/fish and some shrimp(only half way there now). i also have hard water.

what about the "PMDD Pre-Mix" they have?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
How much the bioload matters depends upon what you are keeping, how often/much you feed, etc. Discus for example have a high bioload, whereas shrimp only would be next to zero. How much the bioload will affect your dosing is hard to say at this point. With EI it won't affect it at all until maybe down the road when you're more well-versed with all of this...

The Pre-mix offers you absolutely zero control over what to dose and normally becomes a regretful purchase. I would highly recommend against it. It seems like the easy way out, but is actually the exact opposite...

I don't know the Ca/Mg make-up of your water, so it's impossible for me to tell you whether you need to get the Mg (Magnesium Sulfate) or not. For $2.50 I would get it. But it's also available at wally-world, any grocery, pharmacy, etc as epsom salt. So, if ya need--you can always pick some up later with ease...

HTH

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Here is a dosing regimen that many people are using.
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html
and
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

Below is a chart for a 29g using EI. When EI was first written, there was an option to add K via K2SO4. Later on, the K2SO4 was taken out and GH Booster was added.

Please follow Naja00's directions.

This is the original article about EI.
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...test-kits.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode