Can Magnesium become toxic to fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can Magnesium become toxic to fish?

the fertilizer version we add to our tanks. can overdoing it cause known toxicity in fish? and if so anyone know what levels? i came across and interesting article that suggests magnesium, calcium and sodium in certain quantity can possibly lead to water conditions that are not only healthy for fish but inhibit B/G algae growth. i want to experiment with adding more magnesium than normal but am not sure of its potential toxicity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Pretty much anything can be toxic if you have enough of it. I think you need a lot of magnesium to OD on it thought.

Most tap water should have sufficient levels of Mg, Ca, and Na for your fish. Some people do add additional amounts because of plants but they aren't thought of as algae preventatives. Having the right balance of all nutrients will suppress or inhibit the growth of algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

thats what i thought as well but i'm suffering another terrible b/g algae outbreak now in my second tank. iv'e read everything on this stuff on all the popular fishkeeping/ plant websites. they all regurgitate the same info like they are all copying and pasting text from each other. its frustrating to say the least because none of the few reasons given are problems my tank suffers. iv'e been through this before. something else entirely is going on.

unsatisfied i did more of my own research away from the fish sites and came upon some interesting information regarding fish health/algae growth (specifically cyano bacteria). there is evidence that specific spectrum of lighting and certain water conditions, heavier in magnesium, calcium and electrolytes can be not only beneficial to fish health but suppresive to b/g algae. all i have is magnesium and aquarium salt onhand so i thought i might experiment, which i did start last night. will be watching my b/g algae very carefully to see any possitive effects.

only problem is i really have no way to measure these disolved minerals in my aquarium except for Kh so i'm kind of blindly feeling my way along. just dont want to overdo anything like magnesium one day and come home to a tank full of floating fish.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER9 View Post
only problem is i really have no way to measure these dissolved minerals in my aquarium except for KH so i'm kind of blindly feeling my way along. just dont want to overdo anything like magnesium one day and come home to a tank full of floating fish.
You can use the fertilator to calculate your Ca and Mg additions.

You need a GH test kit and not a KH test kit to measure the hardness of the water when adding GH Booster, Equilibrium, Mg, Ca, etc.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=13526

You can use a Ca test kit to find out how much Ca and Mg is in the water with the info from the GH test kit.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...69&pcatid=4469

A Conductivity Monitor is a precision instrument for the measurement of hardness in freshwater.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4485

Sometimes a (TDS) total dissolved solids meter is mentioned. Hanna makes a DiSTŪ 5 that offers a 3-in-1 solution that instantly tests conductivity, total dissolved solids (TDS), and temperature.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9848

"What is TDS?"
http://www.dieselduck.net/machine/07...20of%20TDS.pdf

KH measures the alkalinity or buffering capacity of the water.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow leftC. thank you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

You are very welcome and I hope this helps you, ER9.

Good luck on your testing.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post

Sometimes a (TDS) total dissolved solids meter is mentioned. Hanna makes a DiSTŪ 5 that offers a 3-in-1 solution that instantly tests conductivity, total dissolved solids (TDS), and temperature.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9848
even more interestingly the ph/orp tester measures redox potential which is the end result of all this effort. wow i had no idea this was already common enough practice companies would devote resources to make these testers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

There are many different types of water testing equipment on the market to test:
freshwater aquariums, rivers, wells, springs, lakes, etc., drinking water, sewage, treatment plants, etc. and
saltwater/brackish seas, oceans, bays, aquariums, treatment plants, etc.

There are some very good books written by Dr. Charles E. Boyd at Auburn University that may be helpful to you. He is a professor in the Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquaculture. The one that I have is named: Water Quality in Ponds for Aquaculture. You can check it out at most Universities and Community Colleges. It may be very helpful to you.

Water Quality in Ponds for Aquaculture
: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ture&x=10&y=21

:

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
You can add quite a lot of magnesium before it reaches toxic levels. At higher doses it acts as a mild laxative on fish and as an analgesic. I use magnesium sulfate at a dose of 1/2 c. to 50 gallons water to treat constipated fish.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
The Mg thing likely comes from the Reef folks and a couple of marine noxious algae, they elevate Mg to kill it off(Bryopsis).

No FW experiences...........the higher Ca, Mg etc might through salt stress, but most all FW algae are very very tolerant of salt stresses.

A good general targetting rule is that you will never need to dose more Mg, Ca, etc on down the line than you do N and K.

So if you have a max uptake of say 10ppm of N(not NO3), quite a bit, you will never need more than say 8-10ppm of Mg.

I think you will find that Mg will affect shrimp and plants before fish, some species might be sensitive, hard to say without real careful testing that is species specific.

Davis tap has 52ppm of Mg. No issues there.

Pretty high.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

huh...interesting thanks for the insights.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
In other words, it's going to be very unlikely unless you go wild with the Epsom salt that anything bad will occur.............

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode