Minimum acceptable GH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Minimum acceptable GH?

Hello all,

My tap water is very soft, with a GH of 3 and a KH of 2. I've been adding GH booster and sodium bicarbonate to raise each to about 5 or 6 degrees.

While I plan to keep adding the sodium bicarbonate, I wonder if I could get by without adding the GH booster? I mostly keep Vals and Crypts for plants, I have pressurized CO2, and I dry dose a typical EI regime.

Any thoughts? I'd like to not add any more to the water column than I have to.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
You don't need to add either with most species. I would not recommend adding baking soda unless it's for very specific fish. However, in that case, it probably wouldn't be a planted tank anyway.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm not adding it for fish, but for the plants. No fish in the tank yet. I need to raise my tap water's KH to help prevent possible pH crash. 2 degrees I don't think would provide adequate buffering capacity with pressurized CO2; therefore, I raise it to around 5 or 6 degrees KH.

The GH I was raising primarily to add calcium for the plants.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
My kH is 2-3. pH is not something you need to worry about. However, huge swings in hardness may be a concern for sensitive fish.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Crypts and vals were fine with my 2-3GH water but some stem plants stunted until I used some GH booster at water change time. Try without the booster then with to see if you notice a difference.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

2-3 degrees of each is just fine for most plants.

Monitor the GH through the week. If a hobby test cannot tell the loss, then it is insignificant. If the plants are growing so well they are removing significant amounts of Ca and Mg, then I would just dose GH once, mid week.

Allow the tank to run with just the KH you have and see if the pH stays, not the same, but follows a cycle through the day with the high and low being about 1 unit of pH. For example, from a low of 6.5 to a high of 7.5.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode